Do scientists search for the truth?

Hog

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie

I was p!ssed off when I read the above article.

Scientists do not necessarily labor away in search of truth for the betterment of humanity.

Scientists frequently tell us what we want to hear when we need to hear it. Opinions are bought and paid for. Just like a desparate wh0re, they will do and say anything for a buck. There is only one difference, wh0res around the world do what they need to do in order to survive to the next day. The scientists frequently do what they do to enjoy nice homes, cars, and vacations.

I challenge anyone to show me one single chicken on any farm that lives a humane life. Show me just one farm chicken who enjoys the same freedoms as a wild bird.

Reactions: Nekodaiden
In some ways, "Scientism" is very much like a religion. What I mean by this is that if the words "science" or "scientists" are used, it is automatically given credence or respectability to some people who are unwilling or unable to do their own research.

Of course certain people/organizations are paid off to produce research that meets the bias of their financial benefactors. In this way it really is not a whole lot different than the Catholic church selling indulgences. Both rely on either the logical fallacy of, or some variant of either "Argument from popular opinion" or "Argument from Authority" - take your pick.

"Scientists say..."
"My Holy book says..."
"My favorite guru says..."

Also usually if there is $$ involved there is the high likelihood of their being deception involved.

• Love
Reactions: Hog

Scientists do not necessarily labor away in search of truth for the betterment of humanity.

Scientists frequently tell us what we want to hear when we need to hear it. Opinions are bought and paid for. Just like a desparate wh0re, they will do and say anything for a buck. There is only one difference, wh0res around the world do what they need to do in order to survive to the next day. The scientists frequently do what they do to enjoy nice homes, cars, and vacations.

I challenge anyone to show me one single chicken on any farm that lives a humane life. Show me just one farm chicken who enjoys the same freedoms as a wild bird.

Sounds like a prejudiced generalization.

@ Nekodaiden - Thank you for expanding on my thoughts.

I have a graduate degree in economics. I also have a graduate degree in Education. Professors frequently said that there is lots of bad research out there. They did not sound cynical or angry. Politics and religion has always influenced scientific research.

By the way, I believe in Santa Claus. Nobody has ever questioned the validity of my research or criticised my biases. The general consensus has been that I should believe what works for me.

In the specific case, this "Humane Farm Animal Care Scientific Committee" is a nonsense. What has science got to do with what is ultimately more a question of ethics and philosophy? I think it is a misuse of the term "scientific" regardless of the scientific credentials of those on the committee. The opinions are a nonsense - they respond to PETA's case by conceding most of the points!

However, in the general case, I think your criticism of scientists is unfair.

I actually think scientists do generally labour away in search of truth for betterment. Of course, there are good and bad scientists, those who are less noble and so on, but the scientific culture, its structure, e.g. the peer review process before publication, has much better alignment with truth and ethics that the culture in other parts of society (e.g. politics, media). It means that even if many scientists were to be hopelessly narcissistic and selfish and focused on personal gain, the system will still deliver fairly good results. Of course, there are many bad and dishonest scientists. But, comparing to other professions (politics, lawyers, police, military, big business) it is relatively more noble.

"Scientists frequently tell us what we want to hear when we need to hear it." Hm. Scientists have been telling us findings about climate change for quite some years now that people don't like and don't want to hear.

"Opinions are bought and paid for." It happens of course, but the best scientists, the best Universities? Rarely. Usually these are lower quality scientists or from less well regarded institutions, or even pseudo scientists altogether.

"The scientists frequently do what they do to enjoy nice homes, cars, and vacations." The average scientists earning $50,000 a year is a smarter person (higher IQ) or just as smart someone earning $100,000 as a regional sales manager or an actuary. That scientist earning $50,000 a year in a public University could have easily gone into the private sector and earned more, they chose not to do so. Of course, scientists are working for homes and cars just like most people are. But not more so than other professions, and if anything less so, in my experience most scientists don't live flashy lives.

• Love
Reactions: Lou and Hog
@Jamie in Chile

Thank you for your response! 👍

I made too many over generalizations in my original post.

Here is an example of how you are correct. Many economists like to predict the future of the stock market. These predictions are personal opinions and not based on science.

A famous economist might even get interviewed by the New York Times to get a sense of where the stock market is going. Still, everybody knows the economist is just guessing.

Nobody gets mad at the economist if s/he was wrong. We all know that s/he was playing a harmless guessing game.

Thus, I stand corrected.

- By the way, I just got a hot tip on the future growth of the snake oil industry. GO ALL IN NOW!

Reactions: Jamie in Chile
I think the thing with investment bankers, stock market and all that, is you can be right only 60% of the time and wrong 40% and you do very nicely. But to be honest some of these so called experts on TV might even be closer to 50/50 than 60/40. It is a bit of a nonsense really.

• Love