Do phytates decrease iron absorption from iron supplements?

Jools Holland

Forum Devotee
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I understand that phytates decrease absorption of iron from the food you eat, but does the same thing apply to iron supplements? If I took iron supplements with a meal that contained whole grains, would my iron absorption be lower than if I just took the iron supplements on an empty stomach?

I understand that phytates decrease absorption of iron from the food you eat, but does the same thing apply to iron supplements? If I took iron supplements with a meal that contained whole grains, would my iron absorption be lower than if I just took the iron supplements on an empty stomach?

The U.S. National Library of Medicine has published a webpage on how to effectively take iron supplements. Link: Taking iron supplements: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia

These are their recommendations:

TIPS FOR TAKING IRON

Iron is best absorbed on an empty stomach. Yet, iron supplements can cause stomach cramps, nausea, and diarrhea in some people. You may need to take iron with a small amount of food to avoid this problem.

Milk, calcium and antacids should NOT be taken at the same time as iron supplements. You should wait at least 2 hours after having these foods before taking your iron supplements.

Foods that you should NOT eat at the same time as you take your iron include:
  • High fiber foods, such as whole grains, raw vegetables, and bran
  • Foods or drinks with caffeine
Some doctors suggest taking a vitamin C supplement or drinking orange juice with your iron pill. This can help the iron absorb into your body. Drinking 8 ounces (240 milliliters) of fluid with an iron pill is also OK.

Tell your provider about all the medicines you are taking.
  • Iron tablets may cause other drugs you are taking to not work as well. Some of these include tetracycline, penicillin, and ciprofloxacin and drugs used for hypothyroidism, Parkinson disease, and seizures.
  • Medicines that reduce stomach acid will impair iron absorption. Your provider may suggest changing these.
  • Wait at least 2 hours between doses of these drugs and iron supplements.

• Informative
Reactions: Second Summer