DIY Mattress Cleaner and Freshener

sallyomally

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Pour about 1 cup of baking soda into a mason jar and drop in 4 drops of lavender essential oil. Put on lid and shake jar. Using a kitchen strainer sprinkle the baking soda mixture all over the mattress and let it sit for an hour or more. Thoroughly vacuum the mattress. Bye, bye dust mites and other nasty things. The baking soda helps draw up any moisture and deep dirtiness. It deodorizes and leaves the mattress smelling fresh and lovely.

Reactions: Rosie1
When I was in junior high I had a friend whose chore it was to sprinkle "shower to shower" (which was just perfumed bakingsoda/cornstarch) on all the mattresses and then jump on them to pound it in. Her mum was really cool and let us jump on all the beds to "beat it into the mattress" and then we hoovered it off.

I think, in retrospect, the jumping was just for fun, but somehow Len's mum had convinced her to do this to get the mattresses hoovered.

When I was in junior high I had a friend whose chore it was to sprinkle "shower to shower" (which was just perfumed bakingsoda/cornstarch) on all the mattresses and then jump on them to pound it in. Her mum was really cool and let us jump on all the beds to "beat it into the mattress" and then we hoovered it off.

I think, in retrospect, the jumping was just for fun, but somehow Len's mum had convinced her to do this to get the mattresses hoovered.

I remember that stuff (" Have you had your sprinkle todaaaayy...")! I like your friend's mum's method!