News 'Dislike' button coming to Facebook

Blobbenstein

Reaction score
Facebook is to add a "dislike" button to its social network, founder Mark Zuckerberg has said.

In a Q+A session held at Facebook's headquarters in Menlo Park, California, the 31-year-old said the button would be a way for people to express empathy.

He said Facebook was "very close" to having it ready for user testing.
'Dislike' button coming to Facebook - BBC News

good for bullies I suppose. Bullybook?

Reactions: ledboots
maybe FB will end up having a 'bacon' button, save people writing it..........I dunno....I don't really use FB.

Reactions: Tom L.
I hope we van use it for our cause. :) but I guess it will be used for bullying too..

There are those people that get all worked up and offended when people "un-friend" them on Facebook. How many interpersonal relationships will be ruined by someone "disliking" the wrong post?

There are those people that get all worked up and offended when people "un-friend" them on Facebook. How many interpersonal relationships will be ruined by someone "disliking" the wrong post?

People have been killed for un-friending others on FB. I guess some take FB a little too serious sometimes. :p I haven't been attacked myself, but I've got some angry PM for un-friending people. :p

It sounds like they are not just going to add a dislike button in the same way there is a like button. I would think it's going to be somehow more restricted to showing empathy. (E.g. by calling the button "solidarity" or "empathy" or similar.) If they are just adding a button called "dislike" next to the like button without any further changes, then I agree that it's a risky move, possibly a big mistake.

Guys (and gals, of course), take it easy!!!

Nearly every online media site that I know does have some "+" and "-" buttons where you can express that you either like or dislike (agree/disagree) the opinion posted. That, IMO, is a very natural process, and I always considered Facebook to be a bunch of cowards for only allowing the "like".

But then, I vividly remember the discussion we had here on this forum about voting on trends, where there was a sizable portion of people who were (possibly rightfully) afraid that having a "dumb/bad" button would lead to the forum falling apart due to bullying. Well, what can I say, I am also a member of other forums that have such a "dumb" button, that is also used - very sparingly, I have to say, and as far as I have seen, not with the intention - or effect - to "bully" people.

I, for one, do appreciate the possibility to express disagreement with others opinion.

Best regards,
Andy

Yes, I too like the idea of being able to express my unhappiness with someone's post by the click of a button. I would use it sparingly, of course. (Except I would dislike a lot of evil companies and such.) It's just all those other people out there I worry would not be able to deal with this. Some might use it liberally, some might use it for bullying purposes, some might take offense, some might not be able to cope with the mere possibility that someone might dislike something they posted.

Also, how is clicking on a button that says "dislike" a way of expressing empathy? I mean, it's somewhat ambiguous. Do they mean "sorry to hear that, I hope you feel better soon" or is it more a "for God's sake, another one of those attention-seeking posts"?

I, for one, do appreciate the possibility to express disagreement with others opinion.

as far as I can see a forum allows for someone to express disagreement, vis a vis the written word....what is so hard to understand about that?

Look at this news site(local to me)....always lots of downvotes for comments:

Motorists caught in queues in Gloucester's Kimbrose Triangle shared space want improved crossing

but it is just one person we think, clearing their cookies....he/she downvotes everyone. :D
That is quite impressive. At least that "bully" doesn't seem to be singling out anyone, or at least all three commenters got the same treatment. There must be a serious design flaw in the software if it allows a user to just delete some cookies and then to vote again.

there is one person he does pick on....he will make sure that the rest get not votes, and this one person gets like minus 70.......she knows it's just one person though.....

There was some talk on another forum to maybe discredit the voting system by doing this, so it might be more than one person, and a troll.

I was banned from that site as I got tangled with the local rugbytroll who is obsessed with some rugby player....he joins up continually with multiple accounts......I stupidly must have slandered this rugbyplayer in my attempt to get at the stalker. He always calls everyone else a troll, with multiple accounts, and says people have sexdolls etc....:D
They've stopped allowing comments on rugby articles I have noticed....World Cup soon so there are quite a few.

Last edited:
There must be a serious design flaw in the software if it allows a user to just delete some cookies and then to vote again.

I tried to multivote recently to downvote the troll(who always gives himself 9 votes) but I couldn't....the site might also record ISP numbers, so I think the troll/s might be using zombie networks...I'm not sure....