US Did PostSecret post a murder confession?

das_nut

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Last night around 10, PostSecret founder Frank Warren completed the website’s weekly update. Usually, a visitor to the site, advertised as an art project in which people send their secrets to be anonymously posted, can expect a mix of homemade cards, some with uplifting affirmations and others with embarrassing confessions.

But the most recent post contained something disconcerting: a postcard with a satellite picture of an unidentified location along with a note proclaiming, “I said she dumped me, but really I dumped her (body).”

The website does see its fair share of disturbing content. In the past, I’ve seen cards referencing sexual assault, suicide, eating disorders, and other similarly tragic subject matter. But never before have I seen a murder confession.

Curious about the implications for PostSecret and disturbed both by the potential truth and misogyny of the card, I emailed Warren for more information. “I do not know if that secret is true,” he told me, “but I am sure that story has been real.”

- Vice.com

My gut reaction was that PostSecret should have turned this over to the police and not posted this at all. If it's true, it's better to let the police investigate, and if it's false, it's better not to encourage hoaxes.

But with the lack of information, how could the police investigate? At least putting it online has lead to the location being identified.

So I have mixed feelings about this.

Hm interesting. I used to read postsecret avidly, I have some books and saw a talk by Frank Warren, but don't read them very often anymore.

I agree with all that you posted really. It's a tough call. I wouldn't have posted it myself, for the reasons you gave, but it looks like good might have come of it, if it turns out to be true...