Cruelty free cosmetics

Alexia

Forum Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
In an ideal world all cosmetics would be free of animal by products and not tested on animals. Products do exist and the choice these days is vast, so why don't companies stop?

I do like organic products, but as they don't last long they aren't always economical and fortunately EU laws have stopped all animal testing.

Which companies and products do you use?

I agree!

Somethings I have no control over though, like at work they use hand wash or washing up liquid from manufactures that test on animals I haven't read the ingredients so I do know if they contain anything from an animal but I do bring my own hand wash though I do have to use the washing up liquid sometimes unfortunately...

These are the two main shops I use..

https://www.faithinnature.co.uk/

https://www.lush.co.uk/

Surprisingly a local supermarket "home basic" products do not test on animals though I think most of the ingredients are synthetic but it's a cheaper alternative than the above.

Many companies may use the same supplier too, and they just change the packaging. There is more awareness these days and no company wants to admit they use any animal byproducts or test on animals as it would be bad publicity.

I used to work in the beauty industry and they would tell us the correct way to inform people to say, as far as we know no ingredients have been tested on animals. This is because some companies buy in raw materials and don't know the actual origin.

Synthetic is cheaper, but we all have to compromise somewhere as we have to use soap in public bathrooms in restaurants and hotels, so we can't control everything, but hope the establishment has a good ethical policy.

I second Lush. Their solid shampoo and solid conditioners are excellent and a lot of them are vegan.

I prefer to use olive oil soap of Greek origin, but I can't be 100% sure that it hasn't been tested on animals sadly. My Greek really isn't that good! :eek: Sadly my old soap actually states it uses tallow fat to manufacture it, but it seems that the rest of their range is not tested on animals and is vegan (the soap may well not test on animals but it is made from them).

We use a lot of ecover products as well, but have to be careful with washing powder because of my asthma. It doesn't tolerate me changing products or scents very well.

I don't use male up at all, so that issue is dealt with, but my moisturising cream is vegan and cruelty free and they don't charge the earth for their products. The one I use is FSC's Evening Primrose Oil Cream with Vitamin E. It has been excellent for rubbing into my scars over the years and as a general moisturising cream as well.

Lush is a big one for me too. I think their products are amazing and used them before my transition to a vegan lifestyle commenced...so it was a big bonus that I could continue using them without any guilt. I also love their solid shampoo and conditioners @Connie, I think they're amazing for travelling too -- not having to pack bulky bottles is a huge plus.

There's a whole bunch of Urban Decay cosmetics that are vegan that work really well - I'm a fan of their brand.

Lushs' deodrant, toothy tabs and aftershave are brilliant. I use the simple moisturiser/product range for facial cleanising, it is relatively cheap and they dont test on animals or use animal products.

Everything in LUSH is absolutely incredible and I absolutely love their seasonal things especially during Christmas. Their fresh face masks, massage bars, and the solid shampoo and conditioner. Actually I honestly think I love nearly everything in the shop.

It is not just the products there though which are incredible it is their staff. At the beginning I used to walk in and walk out of the store because it was so overwhelming. One time just before I was about to leave a sales person came over and asked me if they could help me. I felt like she wasn't trying to sell me things but actually find things that ould help my skin and hair and It think that's why I keep going back !

Everything in LUSH is absolutely incredible and I absolutely love their seasonal things especially during Christmas. Their fresh face masks, massage bars, and the solid shampoo and conditioner. Actually I honestly think I love nearly everything in the shop.

It is not just the products there though which are incredible it is their staff. At the beginning I used to walk in and walk out of the store because it was so overwhelming. One time just before I was about to leave a sales person came over and asked me if they could help me. I felt like she wasn't trying to sell me things but actually find things that ould help my skin and hair and It think that's why I keep going back !

It is a shame they use milk, honey and eggs in some of their products. Thankfully they label whether or not it is vegan.

Hi Alexia personally I use the products of Maya Holistic these products are made with organic ingredients and as far as I can see they are Cruelty Free, besides being for vegans. What I'm not sure is if they sell outside the United States.

Greetings

I buy all my cosmetics and deodorant from Superdrug(UK) as they have a wide range of products that are CF. I also buy their own brand of facial creams which are great value for money and really excellent. I have gifted family members with the former and they were gobsmacked by the quality of these products. 👍

I buy all my cosmetics that are vegan, cruelty free, gmo free and the list goes on to ban over 2000 ingredients that they don't allow in any of their products from a company I found last year called Arbonne. I fell in love with the products so much that I joined them and started my own business, you can check it out at