Cross Contamination? Is this an issue for you?

Is Cross Contamination an issue for you

• Yes

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters

Lou

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Actually, cross contamination can give you food poisoning. All any food scientist, or just Google it. That said, most incidences of food poisoning occur in the home, not in restaurants.
That's true. And I don't have any studies or stats to cite but I'm pretty sure that the cross-contamination that causes food poisoning or other sicknesses in the home usually involves chickens and cutting boards.

It's just that chickens are often contaminated. Cooking kills the bacteria. But when you cut raw chicken on a surface that surface gets contaminated. Then if the next food on the cutting board is not going to be cooked → Food poisoning.

In restaurants, surfaces are disinfected daily. At home, not so much. And the grooves made by knives in a wooden cutting board are great places for bacteria to lurk and ambush the unsuspecting.

@ThaiVegan is exaggerating when she says "a few tiny molecules". But foodborne illness can be caused by bacteria that are literally microscopic. Keep in mind that the human body is pretty good at fighting off bacteria. So that is why we don't have a big line at the emergency room. but it depends on the size of the dose, the species of bacteria and the size and health of the patient.

Reactions: TofuRobot

Ger

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegetarian
The thing that I don't like about fake meat burgers being fried on the same grill as the real meat burgers is that the real ones can easily transfer what they're made of onto the fake ones. When that happens, a vegan could easily develop a taste for real meat without knowing it. As some of you may already know, I recently stumbled and started eating fish after living a strict vegan lifestyle for about ten years. Although I've since stopped eating fish, I initially found it rather difficult to do so. You see, when I was eating fish, it got so that I actually liked the taste of them, especially tuna.

Emma JC

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
The thing that I don't like about fake meat burgers being fried on the same grill as the real meat burgers is that the real ones can easily transfer what they're made of onto the fake ones. When that happens, a vegan could easily develop a taste for real meat without knowing it. As some of you may already know, I recently stumbled and started eating fish after living a strict vegan lifestyle for about ten years. Although I've since stopped eating fish, I initially found it rather difficult to do so. You see, when I was eating fish, it got so that I actually liked the taste of them, especially tuna.
I have a question for you @Ger - when you were eating the fish did you season it all? put spices, etc? or did you eat it plain?

In my opinion, meat, fish etc really doesn't have any kind of appealing taste without the seasoning and the sauces and the brining and the marinading.

So cross contamination may help you develop a taste for BBQ sauce or salt etc but it is unlikely you would wish to eat unflavored meats.

That is what I love so much about eating this way is that I get to have so many amazing flavours on beans or tofu or pastas or rice, potatoes etc without having to eat any animal flesh.

Emma JC

Ger

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegetarian
I have a question for you @Ger - when you were eating the fish did you season it all? put spices, etc? or did you eat it plain?

In my opinion, meat, fish etc really doesn't have any kind of appealing taste without the seasoning and the sauces and the brining and the marinading.

So cross contamination may help you develop a taste for BBQ sauce or salt etc but it is unlikely you would wish to eat unflavored meats.

That is what I love so much about eating this way is that I get to have so many amazing flavours on beans or tofu or pastas or rice, potatoes etc without having to eat any animal flesh.

Emma JC

That's a good point, Emma JC. I liked the Albacore tuna that comes in a tin can best though. The kind that I bought was just packed in low sodium water so I don't think that was the case for me. I mean, if I liked the little bit of salt that comes with that particular type of tuna, then I wouldn't really need to eat fish to get that, I don't think.

Reactions: Emma JC

Emma JC

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
That's a good point, Emma JC. I liked the Albacore tuna that comes in a tin can best though. The kind that I bought was just packed in low sodium water so I don't think that was the case for me. I mean, if I liked the little bit of salt that comes with that particular type of tuna, then I wouldn't really need to eat fish to get that, I don't think.
Salt is powerful on the addiction scale and although it may have contributed to the good taste it is not everything.

So did you eat it plain from the can? did you put it on a salad? in a sandwich with other items?

I made chick pea tuna salad sandwich mix for a road trip we did last week and it turned out very well and was tasty. It did have lots of spices and pickles and mustard and some tahini. It would have been very boring to put just chick peas in a sandwich no matter how much I love them.

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou and Ger

Lou

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
@Ger
I don't think Impossible burgers getting cooked on a BK grill is going to be an issue for many vegans. And IMHO the flavor of beef is already part of the Impossible Whopper's appeal. That is why it appeals to Carnists. If anything the beef flavor is a turn off to many vegans.

The taste thing is THE driving force of all these fake meats. Many long term vegans find the taste of beef to be a turn off. The people who like the taste of beef are the carnists and the transitioning or new vegans. And the carnists may be willing to spend the extra buck on an Impossible Burger for good reasons too.

And good news for you Ger, there is a company that makes fake tuna. Good Catch. It's already available at whole foods. I haven't tried it yet but I plan too. I've heard only good things about it.

Reactions: Sax and Emma JC

Lou

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Salt is powerful on the addiction scale and although it may have contributed to the good taste it is not everything.

So did you eat it plain from the can? did you put it on a salad? in a sandwich with other items?

I made chick pea tuna salad sandwich mix for a road trip we did last week and it turned out very well and was tasty. It did have lots of spices and pickles and mustard and some tahini. It would have been very boring to put just chick peas in a sandwich no matter how much I love them.

Emma JC
Yeah. When i made tuna fish salad it would have to have lots of mayo, celery, celery salt, and pickle relish. I haven't had tuna in so long... but I don't think it tastes that good plain.

Ger

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegetarian

Emma JC
I usually just ate it spread on a slice of my wife's home-made bread. Nowadays, I just spread peanut butter on the bread instead.

VeggieTerrian

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
If things are being cooked to proper internal temperatures actual cross-contamination shouldn't happen.

Lou

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
If things are being cooked to proper internal temperatures actual cross-contamination shouldn't happen.
Initially, we were talking about the cross-contamination that bothers some people when Impossible Whoppers are cooked on the same grill as beef whoppers. So cooking temps are not a factor.

We did take a quick jaunt into the world of food poisoning. Properly cooking your food does solve that problem most of the time. Again I will have to admit I don't have any stats or studies to back up this claim, but I think a hazard involves cutting boards. You have some contaminated chicken, which you cut up on the cutting board. you might properly cook the chicken but now the cutting board harbors bacteria. Then you cut up some vegetables for your salad. You don't cook salad. So now your salad has been "cross-contaminated".

Luckily for vegans (and even vegetarians), we don't have as much to worry about because we don't cut up meat.

But thanks to crappy agricultural practices, sometimes our vegetables come "pre-contaminated".

And now I'm feeling guilty of not even doing some cursory research. So i did some.

This site recommends having two cutting boards. One for meat and one for veggies

Which sort of reminds me of a type of cross-contamination that we haven't mentioned, yet. Staying kosher. My Bubbe had two sets of Everything. One for dairy and one for meat. For a second I thought maybe these kosher laws had some scientific basis but then I remembered that you could prepare veggies with either set of utensils.