Costco to kill 100 million chickens a year

Sax

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
It's only $4.99. But Costco's rotisserie chicken comes at a huge price

The retailer is building a poultry complex in Fremont, Nebraska, a farming town near the Iowa border. The complex includes a processing facility, hatchery and feed mill.

The nearly 400,000 square-foot plant in Fremont will employ 950 workers. The plant will take 45 weeks to ramp up to full production. Once it's at full speed, the plant will process about 100 million chickens a year, or 40% of Costco's annual chicken needs. Costco will process around two million birds a week in Nebraska to supply to stores on the West Coast.

I never go to Costco. I have trouble with storing stuff in my house. I don't have room for 24 rolls of toilet paper. But I hear they have lots of vegan foods.
My friends go and they tell me they always pick up a chicken.

Costco ironically does have a ton of vegan stuff, my last housemate in LA went there a bunch, she was vegetarian but still ate many vegan products, and apparently their store brand of shampoos and stuff is cruelty free.

The chicken thing is horrific. I wish I felt more pity for the people who eat them but it's 2019 and the demand should be going down, not up.

Looks like that study about flexitarianism being meaningless was on point. People are just eating more birds to replace the cows or pigs.

[QUOTE="Forest Nymph, post: 27715, member: 2236"
Looks like that study about flexitarianism being meaningless was on point. People are just eating more birds to replace the cows or pigs.
[/QUOTE]

Don't know which study you are referring to but I don't think this is about people buying more chicken instead of beef. (Although that is what the USDA says is happening).

in this specific case, I think its the price. $5 for a chicken is too good a price point. The article even said that Cosco loses money at this price. but that's ok with them, they put the chicken at the back of the store and they know people aren't going to leave with just a chicken. Not after parking in a huge lot, walking the length of the store and then there is the line for the cashier.

I think for most people, going to Costco is like an expedition. Its probably in a less convenient place than the supermarket, the lines are long, the parking lot is huge. But Suburban Housewife can probably justify the trip cause with that rotisserie chicken - now she doesn't have to cook dinner. And now she has a year's supply of toilet paper, too.

Reactions: Emma JC
@Lou

The article literally says people are eating more chicken than ever before in the United States, and that specifically at Costco the number of rotisserie bird sales have doubled since 2010. So both things are true, what you said and also what I'm saying.

Im referring to a 2017 study I posted here last year that basically said that flexitarianism is meaningless because it has no quantifiable measure and in reality on average "flexitarians" don't really eat less meat. The sociologist argued that asking people to go vegan is more effective since the rule of human nature is to keep the bar high instead of low because most people try to go lower than the bar. Meaning that a flexitarian bar actually isn't effective in getting people to even reduce meat intake.

Nothing happens in a vacuum. This is a Costco sales pitch and price point. It's also Americans being told to eat less beef for health and environment. Hell it might even subconsciously involve Chik Fil A billboards with cute cows saying Eat Moar Chkn.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Forest Nymph, post: 27715, member: 2236"
...The article even said that Cosco loses money at this price. but that's ok with them, they put the chicken at the back of the store and they know people aren't going to leave with just a chicken. Not after parking in a huge lot, walking the length of the store and then there is the line for the cashier.

I think for most people, going to Costco is like an expedition. Its probably in a less convenient place than the supermarket, the lines are long, the parking lot is huge. But Suburban Housewife can probably justify the trip cause with that rotisserie chicken - now she doesn't have to cook dinner. And now she has a year's supply of toilet paper, too.
[/QUOTE]
I actually finally broke down and got a membership since my "friend"/neighbor dropped me off of his account. My latest favorite thing to get there is the organic dried mangos. I'm kind of addicted to them. I also get nuts, frozen berries and cherries (organic), and I actually bought a huge bag of organic power greens that believe it or not lasted a full week and never went bad! The last time I went I brought my son with me. We ordered a large veggie pizza with no cheese (it's vegan w/out the cheese) for $10 @ the food court before we went in. Took it home and he had slices for 3 days, lol. He just put some vegan cheese on it and put the slices in the toaster oven. - Oh - actually that was the time before last. The last time I went, I went specifically for the mangos b/c I was out. I checked out with exactly 3 items - dried mangos, almonds, and organic maple syrup (I needed a bunch for that pumpkin bread). The lines might be long but they tend to move surprisingly fast. They've got quite a lot of vegan items, actually. One of the newest products is Organic Veggie Tortellini. They cook in 3 minutes. They're not too bad. Not especially my personal style, but they keep the kid fed. .....I'm weird in that I actually never buy toilet paper there b/c I'm one of the oddball people who gets single ply and they don't have that. The fluffy kind that everyone likes is just hugely more wasteful, plus I just read that it's really bad from an environmental perspective b/c of the way it's made.

Surely you meant, "...And they always pick up chicks." Wouldn't that be so much better? ;)

To that end Fonzie advises slamming your shopping cart into theirs.

hd3-27.jpg

• Haha