Cooking with unusual grains.

^ Suggestion taken!

I have been adventurous today and bought some soba noodles. Will cook them on Monday as part of my hot and sour soup noodle bowl.

I saw raw buckwheat in the store today but not the toasted kasha. I wonder if that would taste ok.

Thanks! i might post some pictures of it : ) .

My grandmother is from Poland and we always have traditional Polish fare on Christmas Eve, which includes kasha. Growing up, we kids (and even some of the adults) hated it because of the smell when it cooks. Very abruptly my tastes seem to have changed and suddenly I love it and am cooking it all the time. Go figure. The only pity with regard to Christmas is that it was always a vegetarian feast (with the one exception of fish) so I could go every year and not have to worry. But now I am vegan, so everything is pretty much off the menu. It's done potluck style now, so I can't ask 10 different cousins and all the aunts and uncles what they put in everything, or to make it special just for me.

Thanks! i might post some pictures of it : ) .

Nooooooo, it is an order.:p
k8493016.jpg

Reactions: Freesia
Thanks! Yes I do like them. They just taste like ordinary noodles. They are a great texture and keep their shape in the soup. The buckwheat pasta had a far buckwheatier taste than these. : )

Thanks! Yes I do like them. They just taste like ordinary noodles. They are a great texture and keep their shape in the soup. The buckwheat pasta had a far buckwheatier taste than these. : )

What % of buckwheat were in the noodles ? They seem quite pale for soba noodles? They have a differen
taste and texture to wheat noodles.

I will look tomorrow. The camera flash has made them pale, they are actually a light grey colour with tiny dark speckles.

You are right, 69% wheat flour and 29% buckwheat flour. I didnt think that that would be the case. Anyway never mind... maybe next time I will look for some more authentic ones.