Cooking tips tricks & quizzes

@Lou

I usually buy tubes of Mutti tomato paste (see pic below). They last a little while after opening, but ideally freezing it in pre-portioned amounts is the way to go. An ice cube tray would work into about 2 tablespoons, depending on the cube size. I vacuum seal mine after freezing.

1708996998570.png

Reactions: PTree15
@Lou

but ideally freezing it in pre-portioned amounts is the way to go. An ice cube tray would work into about 2 tablespoons, depending on the cube size. I vacuum seal mine after freezi
oh. that makes sense. you could but a big can and do that

They don't get smushed together in the freezer?

They don't get smushed together in the freezer?

Nope! Freeze them in a container you like the shape of, like an ice cube tray. Once they're frozen you can put them in a freezer bag, etc. I pop mine out of the tray and vacuum seal them. I can thaw one in 10 minutes in warm water.

Nope! Freeze them in a container you like the shape of, like an ice cube tray. Once they're frozen you can put them in a freezer bag, etc. I pop mine out of the tray and vacuum seal them. I can thaw one in 10 minutes in warm water.

I was wondering why you freeze it as it last for months if you store it in the fridge.

I was wondering why you freeze it as it last for months if you store it in the fridge.
I only freeze the canned version, not the tubed. The canned version most definitely will mold stored in the fridge. It is recommended to only store canned version for no longer than 7 to 10 days in the fridge, where tubed can last for over a month. These are food safety recommendations.

• Informative
Reactions: Lou and shyvas
I only freeze the canned version, not the tubed. The canned version most definitely will mold stored in the fridge. It is recommended to only store canned version for no longer than 7 to 10 days in the fridge, where tubed can last for over a month. These are food safety recommendations.

I thought that you were talking about the tube paste. It's far better than those small more expensive tins. When I was in California I only used the former as I do over here.

I thought that you were talking about the tube paste. It's far better than those small more expensive tins. When I was in California I only used the former as I do over here.
over here the tubes are more expensive.
and harder to find.

I have an issue with tomato paste.

Many of my recipes calls for 1 or 2 tbsp of tomato paste. I open a can. use 1 or 2 tbsps, put the remainder in a plastic container. Then the next time I need tomato paste there is mold growing on top of the tomato paste.

A few times I split the remainder in two plastic containers and froze one. So it's not quite as wasteful.

Some stores have tomato paste in a tube. like toothpaste. I haven't found any around here but they sell it at amazon so I ordered some. it's more expensive than in the cans but I think maybe it will be cheaper in the long run - with less waste.

Tubes are definitely more expensive, around $2 to $4 per 4.5-ounce tube versus $0.80 to $1.50 for a 6-ounce can. But once a tube is opened, it’ll last 30 to 45 days without deteriorating in flavor. Tomato paste from a can will start to get moldy far faster because it’s exposed to more air, so you’ll have to freeze the excess if you want it to last.​

sometimes I just use ketchup instead as there is always one open in the fridge

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

I keep the small 4 oz cans of paste just in case it matters, but I often use ketchup. My Aldi organic ketchup is pretty sweet though.
I'd like to try tomato powder.
Here I find the tubes are pricey--and if I put an opened one in the fridge it would be totally forgotten! :dismay:
I do find the ziploc to be the easiest way to store in freezer. I don't understand all the tips to freeze things in cubes as I never have the room!
Esp when it's like spread on a cookie sheet and freeze!

I keep the small 4 oz cans of paste just in case it matters, but I often use ketchup. My Aldi organic ketchup is pretty sweet though.
I'd like to try tomato powder.
Here I find the tubes are pricey--and if I put an opened one in the fridge it would be totally forgotten! :dismay:
I do find the ziploc to be the easiest way to store in freezer. I don't understand all the tips to freeze things in cubes as I never have the room!
Esp when it's like spread on a cookie sheet and freeze!

yeah I don't have the room for a cookie sheet either but I do keep ice cube trays just for this and once it is frozen just put them in a ziploc

Emma JC

yeah I don't have the room for a cookie sheet either but I do keep ice cube trays just for this and once it is frozen just put them in a ziploc

Emma JC
how do you prevent them from getting all mushed up together in the zip lock? Do you just put one or two in each zip lock?

We buy the Mutti sauce in the cans for pizza sauce. It is really nice compared to other sauces. I only discovered it a few months ago, but I saw two vegan Youtubers saying how nice it is. I have had it on pasta too.