Cooking for Vegetarians in a meat eater'

thisnthat

Forum Novice
Reaction score
If you live in a house with meat eaters, what steps do you take when cooking for vegetarians?

If you entertain a guest who is vegetarian, you will usually end up preparing at least some special foods for him or her. When you do so, are you careful to avoid contact with meat?

I have one pan that I don't use for anything else. It's a small skillet that was gifted to me, years ago, that I never really used. So, I keep it aside to cook things for my vegetarian friend.

When we cook on the grill, we have a small, separate rack that we place over the grill and cover with foil. We cook her food when there is no meat on the rest of the grill, but use the rack to avoid allowing her food to touch the areas where meat has been cooked. Of course, we clean the grill, but still.

My wife and kids are not vegetarians; they make up for the meat that I choose not to eat. ;)

Typically, though, my wife is very accommodating and will usually alter the meals to be vegetarian or separate it before adding in meat products so I have a portion that is 'safe' for me.

She has her moments when she's not in the mood or had a rough day and she's lamented that she wishes she didn't have to do that, but in the end, she's happy to be able to do something special for me and I am incredibly appreciative of how far she goes for me.

On the rare occasion I do cook, I show my appreciation by making a meat dish - as in, all the unhealthy things! I figure she bends at the knee for my diet, I can do the same.

Reactions: thisnthat
If you live in a house with meat eaters, what steps do you take when cooking for vegetarians?

If you entertain a guest who is vegetarian, you will usually end up preparing at least some special foods for him or her. When you do so, are you careful to avoid contact with meat?

I have one pan that I don't use for anything else. It's a small skillet that was gifted to me, years ago, that I never really used. So, I keep it aside to cook things for my vegetarian friend.

When we cook on the grill, we have a small, separate rack that we place over the grill and cover with foil. We cook her food when there is no meat on the rest of the grill, but use the rack to avoid allowing her food to touch the areas where meat has been cooked. Of course, we clean the grill, but still.
Are your friends that picky, that they won't eat food that may have been cooked in a skillet that cooked meat, but has been washed and clean? I understand not wanting to eat meat, but does that include not even using utensils and cookware that have been used for meat? That just seems a little extreme to me.

I give you kudos for being so understanding and trying to accommodate your friends. Not many friends would go to all the trouble.