Cooking Disasters Thread

SummerRain

I dreamed that God would be forgiving.
Reaction score
Sometimes there's a lot of pressure to be a good cook - especially if you're cooking for others, friends, family, etc. I know that when my baking goes wrong and it's for a special occasion or get together, it's fustrating! If I slave over something in the kitchen, and the person I've made it for doesn't like it, I'm not going to lie - I'm hurt!

So I thought we'd have a thread to gripe, moan and commiserate about baking and cooking going wrong. Pictures welcome!

Reactions: Freesia
I always have a habit of leaving one ingredient out of a recipe.Sometimes it could be an insignificant ingredient then it's not so bad but if it's a spinach tofu quiche and I left the spinach out it could possibly go horribly wrong.Most of the time I catch it before it's cooked then I can still add what I left out but I did have at few things go wrong this month already.

Haha :) I over chilli things a lot, once I used several scotch bonnets in a recipe not realising they were much hotter than the chilli required in the recipe. It was inedible!

I was making chilli a couple of weeks ago and could not for the life of me get it to taste right at the end when I was adding the last bits of seasoning... Then I realised I hadn't put any onion in it at the start :fp:

Haha :) I over chilli things a lot, once I used several scotch bonnets in a recipe not realising they were much hotter than the chilli required in the recipe. It was inedible!
I have made too-spicy chili too. If you quarter a few potatoes and cook them in it for awhile, they soak up some of the heat, then you can take them out of the less-spicy chili. :).

I can't seem to ever cook frozen vegetables to be decent. I rarely buy them, but sometimes it's a good way to save money. But they're always mushy!

Is anyone else horrible at keeping track of the amounts of things they add to food when throwing things together? Then if I make something decent, I can't replicate it. :(

Reactions: KLS52 and ledboots
:p I'm even sillier than that, I have a recipe I know tastes wonderful, start changing things around, and make something vile. I made avacado pasta salad last week, put in lime juice instead of lemon, and thought maybe olive oil would go nicely also... I turned something delicious into something genuinely inedible. My better half said "... what did you do to this?!".

I have a recipe I know tastes wonderful, start changing things around, and make something vile.

I do that a lot. It usually happens because I make something amazing and I know I'll want more of it, so I will keep adding more stuff to it and end up ruining it.
I can't seem to ever cook frozen vegetables to be decent. I rarely buy them, but sometimes it's a good way to save money. But they're always mushy!
I recently discovered that letting the bag thaw first in the fridge helps cut down on the mushiness factor.

Is anyone else horrible at keeping track of the amounts of things they add to food when throwing things together? Then if I make something decent, I can't replicate it. :(
This is me, although I just recently started to take written notes.

Or, I print a recipe off of the Internet, turns out to be a keeper, and then I lose it.

I spent hours baking :(

Fudge - 12 hours in the fridge, 2 hours in the freezer and it's still just melted goo

Gingerbread cookies - bland tasting & over cooked

Oatmeal cookies - barely any nutmeg in them, yet that's all you taste.

Snowball cookies - bland.

I tried really hard, these were supposed to be holiday gifts. :cry::cry:

Fudge - 12 hours in the fridge, 2 hours in the freezer and it's still just melted goo

Hmm..maybe your taste buds are off. Did you have someone else try them ?

:hug: Oh no. I agree, try them on somebody else, perhaps you're overly-critical of the cookies?

Oh, sorry RascalsMom. :hug: Such a disappointment when that happens. All that hard work and expense, too. Can any of them be iced/frosted? Maybe you can make icing with extra flavoring to make up for the ones that are bland. Or even try dipping some in chocolate?

My fiancé seems to think they're all wonderful..
But can he be trusted? :p

:yes:
Like SummerRain said, I think you are being over critical. I bet they taste fabulous!

I was making two pumpkin pies, cranberry-pomegranate sauce, roasted chickpeas, brownies, and cooking my lunch and dinner all at once on Sunday. I like to cook multiple things when I have my oven on to save on electricity. I had so much going on that I didn't realize till later that I forgot to put one of the pies in the oven. :fp: I had even put it in the fridge without baking it. This morning I was wondering why it looked funny.:rolleyes: It's baking now.