Comics!

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Comics are one of my favourite kinds of art. What sort of comics do you like? I grew up with Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse, then gradually moved to various superhero comics (which I mostly loathe today), but these days I prefer mainly funny comics and graphic novels of various kinds.

Thought I should start off the thread by posting a few samples made by a friend of mine who is a fantastic and incredible artist:
special_price_for_you_my_friend.png

The next one is part of a longer work (warning - potentially triggering for cheese addicts):
0002.jpg

0003.jpg

You can find more of her work here: http://cheesepirate.com/

I like all sorts of comics. I do tend to stay away from superhero and real life comics, although there are exceptions. I'm a huge fan of Dark Horse comics, especially Hellboy/BPRD. I also like American Vampire on Vertigo because it's written by one of my favorite writers in comics right now, Scott Snyder. I think I tend to favor writers mostly when choosing comics, followed by comics with a strong sci-fi or psychedelic bent, such as The Invisibles by Grant Morrison. I am rambling a bit and I'm sorry about that. I usually don't discuss this hobby very much with anyone

Reactions: Dedalus
I grew up on Calvin and Hobbes and Bloom County. We've moved on to graphic novels (which really are comics right?)

We love Roman Dirge's Lenore the Little Dead Girl and are currently obsessed with Joe Hill's splendid Locke and Key series. We also like the Sandman--we have the complete Death as she is our favourite character.

Im not into DC/Marvel style comics. I love Roman Dirge and Jhonen Vasquez.
My favourites are Johnny The Homicidal Maniac, Filler Bunny, Squee and I Feel Sick...

Some of the JTHM stuff is a little violent but Filler Bunny is cute!

I think it's fairly obvious I love Neil Gaiman / Sandman :)

Other favorites: Locke and Key - Joe Hill - really loving this series.

And for something really wild:

blackhole.jpg

LOVED this one.

Reactions: David3
I think it's fairly obvious I love Neil Gaiman / Sandman :)

Other favorites: Locke and Key - Joe Hill - really loving this series.

And for something really wild:

View attachment 846

LOVED this one.

We are obsessed with Locke and key as well--do you remember the cover art of Nina's face cracking and breaking into pieces? We bought the original drawing from Gabriel Rodriguez! Plus we saw Neil Gaiman last year at a panel discussion at the British library and he signed our copy of the Complete Death with the words DON'T DIE.

We are obsessed with Locke and key as well--do you remember the cover art of Nina's face cracking and breaking into pieces? We bought the original drawing from Gabriel Rodriguez! Plus we saw Neil Gaiman last year at a panel discussion at the British library and he signed our copy of the Complete Death with the words DON'T DIE.

I like to savor Locke and Key so much that I only allow myself to read it during the month of October. I think my wife is getting me one of the keys from Skeleton Crew for my birthday. (Thanks for the tip on that). Rodriguez is amazing - I'm jealous, jealous jealous of you for the art and getting Neil's sig. Awesome!

I like to savor Locke and Key so much that I only allow myself to read it during the month of October. I think my wife is getting me one of the keys from Skeleton Crew for my birthday. (Thanks for the tip on that). Rodriguez is amazing - I'm jealous, jealous jealous of you for the art and getting Neil's sig. Awesome!

What did you think of the one-offs--Open the Moon and Grindhouse? Do you know which key you're getting? It was interesting about the art--we have several original pieces from marvel comics all on heavy board with the marvel logo watermarked--GR's piece was just on paper. maybe it is working in South America but his was on paper. it got a bit wet coming here--slightly wrinkled on the right, but you can hardly tell in the frame. we don't care we are so keen to have it no matter what.

What did you think of the one-offs--Open the Moon and Grindhouse? Do you know which key you're getting? It was interesting about the art--we have several original pieces from marvel comics all on heavy board with the marvel logo watermarked--GR's piece was just on paper. maybe it is working in South America but his was on paper. it got a bit wet coming here--slightly wrinkled on the right, but you can hardly tell in the frame. we don't care we are so keen to have it no matter what.

I have not checked out Open the Moon and Grindhouse yet - but oh yes - I'll be devouring those shortly. ! I asked for the ghost, shadow, animal and omega keys - I'd love to have the moon, and anywhere keys but they are still sold out. Don't know which of those I'm getting - but I plan on fashioning whatever I get into a necklace of some sort.

I have not checked out Open the Moon and Grindhouse yet - but oh yes - I'll be devouring those shortly. ! I asked for the ghost, shadow, animal and omega keys - I'd love to have the moon, and anywhere keys but they are still sold out. Don't know which of those I'm getting - but I plan on fashioning whatever I get into a necklace of some sort.

Oh you must check out the one-offs!!!! Open the Moon is heartbreakingly sad and done in the style of Little Nemo in Slumberland and Grindhouse is tough and done in the style of the old crime comics of the 50s. Both good stories and both homages to other comic genres. Both also tell you a bit more about people you read in Guide to the known keys. Let us know when you get your key(s)!!

I'm really starting to get into Dynamite's line of old pulp hero stuff. Ennis' run on The Shadow was absolutely phenomenal. From there, I checked out the Green Hornet, Spider, and Project Superpowers line. Some seriously pulpy good stuff all around there. I don't know if anyone remembers when Vertigo did Sandman Mystery Theatre, but those series' mentioned above read a lot like that. Of course, I'm still reading BPRD/Hellboy and just about all things Dark Horse, but what else is new?

I'm embarrassed to admit this but comics are a guilty pleasure of mine, even though I'm almost a senior citizen. I don't buy them, at least- I just skim through bound collection/anthologies that the libraries have.

My taste in comics back in the 60s was kind of wierd. I read some Marvel (Fantastic 4, Spider Man) and Dell (Doctor Solar- Man Of The Atom; Voyage To The Deep), but it was mostly DC for me (Legion of Super Heroes; Dial "H" For Hero). However, DC has gotten really strange over the past decade or so- they've rebooted several storylines several times so that many standard characters and groups have quite different backstories, or may have been retroactively deleted from the fictional universe altogether. There was a period when they changed Superman's powers radically for a time.

About the "Sandman" graphic novels... is it my imagination, or does Desire look a lot like kd lang? I thought the resemblance (appearance-wise, not personality) was quite strong.