Comics!

I've never been a fan of comics but the nice thing about being "almost senior" is it's about time we stop feeling guilty and start doing more of what we want! Ha. :)

So enjoy. :)

No shame in reading comics. People do tend to give me strange looks when I ask for Conan the Barbarian and Hellboy every month, though. At this point, strange looks are par for me.

Dilbert, Calvin and Hobbs and The Far Side are some of my favorites, but I like a lot of others too. I don't like the superhero comics though.
I get Dilbert on my browsers home page. :)

Reactions: Brian W
I love me some Vegan Sidekick. Check him out for sure.
1908392_673618812732578_7273039934122376817_n.jpg

and

Again, bumping an old thread. I currently have...5? subscriptions out at my local record store/comic book shop - Saga, They Aren't Like Us, Satellite Sam, Manhattan Projects, and occasionally some random stuff that Zano throws in for me.

I've just gotten into X - Men (because of the movies, I won't lie, I'm rabidly obsessed with Nazi Hunting Roma Dating Erik Lehnsherr), and have been listening to Rachel & Miles Xplain The X-Men to try and understand it all. This is a rare occurrence for me, I abhor superhero stories and mainly focus on monsters, but you know. I'm getting down with it.

Reactions: Scorpius
Adding:

Twilight Children - scary! bizarre! what's happening?
Wicked & The Divine - Lucifer Died For Our Sins!
Phonogram: The Immaterial Girl/Singles Collection

I attend two comic book clubs a month. One is reading the unbeatable squirrel girl. the other is reading southern bastards.

Recently, during my vacation in Norway, I came across a new-ish (published in 2018 in Norway) 'Spirou et Fantasio' album (in Norwegian). The original language is French (it's a Franco-Belgian comic), and albums in the series have been translated into a large number of other languages, including English.

Anyway, just wanted to say it was really, really well done, and if you're interested in "modernised" classic-style comics, this one might be of interest. I don't know what the original title of this particular album is, but it translates to something like "against all odds". The story is set around the outset of WW2 and the invasion of Belgium.

Cinebook has published some of the albums in English:
The ones listed currently are a bit dated now (80s style) and don't include the later albums such as the one I bought while on vacation.

Reactions: Val
Another thread I didn't know existed! I never got into comics until The Walking Dead. I started reading the graphic novel (sounds much classier than comic) after getting into the TV show. Now I buy it every month at the local comic book store! I also have read the "spin off" about Negan who is one of the villians.

Reactions: Val
Well, I am sad to report that the July issue of The Walking Dead is the finale. It came as a total shock. :(

Yes. It's the story of how people survive in a zombie apocalypse. It has been published for 16 years and is the material that the TV shows, The Walking Dead and Fear the Walking Dead are based on. It is really good and not really about zombies, but about people and relationships and dealing with survival. Of course there is plenty of zombie action as well! Robert Kirkman, the author, said the time had come to end it. There were no hints that it was coming at all.

Reactions: Second Summer
I heard the other day that Robert Crumb made an illustrated version of the Book of Genesis. I thought it would be one helluva graphic novel, assuming it would be a typical Crumb works, but according to Wikipedia:

Given Crumb's past body of work, and his professed rejection of religion, many assumed when the book was announced that it would be a satire or otherwise profane or subversive send-up, and were surprised or disappointed[2] to find it "straight-faced".[3] Crumb "resist[ed] the temptation to go all-out Crumb on us and exaggerate the sordidness, the primitivism and the outright strangeness"[3] found in the Bible—the depictions of sex are explicit, but not gratuitous. In his introduction to the book, Crumb writes he has "faithfully reproduced every word of the original text," each word hand-lettered. The book's cover contains the warning, "Adult Supervision Recommended for Minors".

I came across an adult graphic novel series, "Invincible", in the library quite some time ago. It's about superheroes (some of whom turn out to be extremely bad villains- surprise, surprise). Seems there was an animated series based on the novels, and I recently started watching it on-line. I'll start getting it out of the library too.

I can see why they're billed as "adult graphic": they're pretty violent. I suspect their printer orders lots of extra red ink when a new issue comes in...