Climate change: which are the best vegan milks?

Nice. :)

Oddly, I almost never buy plant milk of any kind. I used to all the time when my son was making smoothies, but he stopped doing that (and I don't drink them). (I also need a new stick blender, so that's been a huge factor, too.) I never drink it, and I don't eat cereal - hardly ever take the time to make oatmeal, so it ends up going bad. ...When I first went pescatrian 28 yrs ago, I started drinking rice milk. I liked it for a while but eventually switched to soy, and much later, almond and I've tried the various others out there now, and now I just don't drink anything but water, tea, or the very occasional coffee or ginger beer. I once made almond milk b/c I found a good deal on bulk raw almonds and it was SO good that really nothing else compares, IMO. I don't have a blender (it's on the list), so that is the only thing stopping me from doing that. But interestingly, when people think of vegans they think of milk and what they could use as a substitute, but since I've been vegan I just don't have a need for milk of any kind at all very often. It's the last thing on my mind. Occasionally there will be a recipe that will call for it, so I'll have to pick some up in that case, but that's about it.

I do think it's a funny (as in, 'odd') thing that we feel we need milk at all, as adults, for anything. I mean, if no one ever thought of stealing the milk from animals, whatever would we drink or cook with? It's my personal opinion that we aren't supposed to be drinking anything but water - or some sort of 'infused' water like tea or water with a squeeze of lemon or whatever - post-weaning.

Reactions: betiPT
That is interesting and I agree with most of it. But soy milk is a very convenient source of protein, vitamins, and minerals. I drink at least one glass a day. PB/Banana smoothies or with my oatmeal, or sometimes just plain with some cookies. I've grown to rely on it to help meet my requirements for protein, calcium, B12, and D.

BTW, my sister bought me a little rocket blender. It's not as useful as a full-size blender but it can just sit on the counter. I actually gave away my full-size blender cause I was hardly using it. I came to regret that. Then my other sister bought me a really nice hand mixer. So everything is good.

Reactions: betiPT and hopeful
That is interesting and I agree with most of it. But soy milk is a very convenient source of protein, vitamins, and minerals. I drink at least one glass a day. PB/Banana smoothies or with my oatmeal, or sometimes just plain with some cookies. I've grown to rely on it to help meet my requirements for protein, calcium, B12, and D.

BTW, my sister bought me a little rocket blender. It's not as useful as a full-size blender but it can just sit on the counter. I actually gave away my full-size blender cause I was hardly using it. I came to regret that. Then my other sister bought me a really nice hand mixer. So everything is good.
By hand mixer you mean stick blender? I think you mentioned it before... The next one I buy I want to be a really good one that will *last...*

My sister got me the
Breville BSB510XL Control Grip Immersion Blender

She chose it after reading this review. I would never have bought one for myself. It seems too expensive for the few times a month I will use it. But it is very nice.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-immersion-blender/

It does compliment my new InstantPot very well.

Pea milk wasn't on the chart either but that is an up-and-comer here in the US. Oat milk may be the new shiny object. Quaker oats is not making it. So is Silk. And Some Starbucks have a new special oat latte.

Good article!

TLDR: IMHO Hemp milk is easy to make and there is a lot less waste :)

I have been making my own Hemp Milk, saw it on Chef AJs show... super super easy and of course full of the essential fatty acids :)

In my Ninja (you can use any high speed blender) I add hemp seeds and water, I don't even measure I just throw it in, ratio is about 0.5cup to 1L. Blend, store in fridge, done :) I store it in reused jars. And most importantly, the kids don't mind it (no screaming for cow milk).

I still buy some plant based milk for my tea, but for everything else, I just use the hemp milk.

I just felt bad throwing out all the containers for the plant based milk; even though tetra packs are recyclable, I do question how much recycling simply ends back up in landfill here is in Australia as we are not as good as other countries with managing waste.

Now my rubbish (recycling) is one tetra pack a week, as opposed to one every day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Emma JC
Good article!

TLDR: IMHO Hemp milk is easy to make and there is a lot lest waste :)

I have been making my own Hemp Milk, saw it on Chef AJs show... super super easy and of course full of the essential fatty acids .

I will have to try that.

Slightly related... The guy I work with bought a new blender, so he gave me 2 perfectly functional ones! Both with glass pitchers, which are super hard to find anymore, imo. I'm so excited - the first thing I'm going to make is almond milk. I have the nut bags 'n' everything, but my blender broke like 3 yrs ago and it's been ages since I've made it :) (My son is going to be spoiled and want me to keep making it so he can put it in smoothies... lol )

Ran into this article by accident. I hate this stuff. What a bunch of BS. Can we sic Dr Gregar on this guy.

IS SOY ACTUALLY SAFE TO EAT?

Its written by Dr. Lipman. Google "Lipman and Quack", and you get at least a half dozen bad reviews of this guy.

It is hard enough to navigate the field of nutrition without these kinds of obstacles. There ought to be a law.

Have you ever tried banana milk? it is certainly the simplest milk to make, about 20 seconds, and can be used on cereal or oatmeal or even in a recipe. Just put a banana and water in a bullet or blender and you will have instant milk. I almost always have bananas around so always have milk if/when wanted.

Emma JC

Have you ever tried banana milk? it is certainly the simplest milk to make, about 20 seconds, and can be used on cereal or oatmeal or even in a recipe. Just put a banana and water in a bullet or blender and you will have instant milk. I almost always have bananas around so always have milk if/when wanted.

Emma JC

OH! That is good to know. I always put my overripe bananas in the freezer. Then I use the frozen bananas to make banana "ice cream".
I don't always have bananas around. But i seem to always have frozen bananas around. I wonder if i can use the frozen banana and water to make milk? How much water/ per banana do you think?

One ripe banana
1/2 cup cool water

and let'er rip....

I think the frozen would work just as well, let us know. Use warmer water?

Emma JC

OK. just tried it with a regular banana and water.
Came out great!
My only issue is that by not using store-bought soy milk I'm not getting the protein, D, calcium, and B12. But definitely good to know.

Just tried the frozen banana with room temperature water. Very cold and maybe more like a banana shake then banana milk. Since I'm still drinking the first one, I put it in the frig. In a couple of hours, it might be more milk-like.

Reactions: betiPT and Emma JC