Music Classics that should not have been classics

rainforests1

Forum Legend
Reaction score
If Imagine had been done by a singer not involved with the Beatles, would it still be getting airplay? Probably not. Are there any songs from the 1980's and before that still gets airplay today that has you questioning why?

Yes, I think so. It is a beautiful message and song.

"Imagine"

Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today...

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one."

Eh. Taste is subjective. I really hate that it's become cool to be a music snob.

It's like the snobbery of the 'high' art world is bleeding over into other art forms. So what if that painter had no formal training? So what if you only listen to artists not played on top 40?

I think the whole thing is pretty classiest. I.e. " only basic people like that stuff, I'm above it." Those people need to get over themselves.

Also, imagine is a beautiful song.

Eh. Taste is subjective. I really hate that it's become cool to be a music snob.

It's like the snobbery of the 'high' art world is bleeding over into other art forms. So what if that painter had no formal training? So what if you only listen to artists not played on top 40?

I think the whole thing is pretty classiest. I.e. " only basic people like that stuff, I'm above it." Those people need to get over themselves.

Also, imagine is a beautiful song.

I don't base what I listen to on any other standard than whether x is or is not a good song. I don't care if it's in the top 40 or not, and I don't care what genre it is. The kind of 'snobbery' you refer to is nothing new - it has been around for decades. Using 'snobbery' to describe it is subjective too - some people seek out new music, they search hard to find material that's off the radar. Others are perfectly content to have their playlist served up to them on a platter.

I don't base what I listen to on any other standard than whether x is or is not a good song. I don't care if it's in the top 40 or not, and I don't care what genre it is. The kind of 'snobbery' you refer to is nothing new - it has been around for decades. Using 'snobbery' to describe it is subjective too - some people seek out new music, they search hard to find material that's off the radar. Others are perfectly content to have their playlist served up to them on a platter.

Right. But what is "good" is subjective. At least when it comes to art. I may think that N'Sync's Dirty Pop is the greatest pop song that ever popped, and you may look at me sideways, 'cause how could I like that manufactured tripe? And we're both right, based on our prospective tastes (or, we're both wrong, heh).

And yes, seeking out new music is a good. It's great. I encourage everyone to look at up and coming artists who aren't getting any airplay - because their are some damn good musicians that don't fit into radio station trends. I'm talking about those people - and we all know at least one - who are all "I liked them before they were mainstream" but drop them the moment they start to become more well known. The people who listen to music for hipster cred, and not because they actively like or dislike something.

The Bird Is The Word song is another one I find greatly overrated. His voice makes me cringe.