Computers Chromebook

It's understandable. I think to be very safe on the computer people have to be really up to date on what's out there. But that's exactly my point - not everyone can do that, and it's easy to let one's guard down. Probably most people here didn't know about Java, even though it became a really big computing issue in January. I think most people just want to use their computer as a tool, but not necessarily have to spend time dealing with the actual tool (and they don't, and they get compromised).

Well, it's not like I take care of the computer in other ways as well.

I think it's just because I think it's pretty secure overall with a good browser, one antivirus, one anti-malware, a firewall, Windows security systems, and my own knowledge.

And that may cause one to not consider other things as well.

But the people who are likely to purchase a tablet are doing so because they don't want or need more control.
My desktop computer can do much more than my tablet, but I don't use it much because my tablet does pretty much everything I need to do frequently.

There are still plenty of resources available for people who have the need/want to do more.

It's not as much "do stuff" as "know what your computer does".

If a company wants to do shady stuff, then what can you do if you don't know what settings your computer has?

There's no way that companies won't try to make money off of you.

If you're using google.com (as opposed to google.co.uk and so on) and you're logged in to a google account, then you can see the "real" search results by clicking a little "planet earth" icon above the search results. (Whereas the "person" icon gives you the search results google thinks you want to see.)

Yes, of course, but the average person isn't aware of this, allowing Google to control/limit their content.

If you're using google.com (as opposed to google.co.uk and so on) and you're logged in to a google account, then you can see the "real" search results by clicking a little "planet earth" icon above the search results. (Whereas the "person" icon gives you the search results google thinks you want to see.)

So that's only on the .com then?

The specific word used isn't really the issue. But your posts do seem to say that people who don't have exactly the same needs/wants as you do are somehow lesser.

This isn't the first thread you've started that bashes people who don't want or need a high-powered computer.

My grandmother has an Internet-connected computer. She uses it to play Mah Jong and email her sister who lives far away. What is wrong with having easy-to-use, and relatively safe computer for people like her?

I think part of the reason for the "dumbing down" is because so many more people are using computers now. If there were no tablets, a lot of people just wouldn't use a computer at all. I showed a guy in the library once what right-click meant. :(

Yes, of course, but the average person isn't aware of this, allowing Google to control/limit their content.
It's not ideal, I agree. There ought to be something in big letters explaining the issue.

So that's only on the .com then?
As far as I know, yes. You can get to the .com domain by clicking a link on the bottom of the page on google.co.uk, so presumably it's the same in other countries. (You can't get to google.com just by entering it in the URL field of your browser, because then you'll be re-directed to the country-specific google domain ...)

Because a lot of tech people like Apple computers, but they've definitely created a more insulated environment than Microsoft. Amazon is a site. And we're already talking about Google (chromebooks).

The specific word used isn't really the issue. But your posts do seem to say that people who don't have exactly the same needs/wants as you do are somehow lesser.

This isn't the first thread you've started that bashes people who don't want or need a high-powered computer.

My grandmother has an Internet-connected computer. She uses it to play Mah Jong and email her sister who lives far away. What is wrong with having easy-to-use, and relatively safe computer for people like her?

Not high powered, just "strong enough" to do basic stuff. Regular computers like the kind your grandmother use are fine, it's just the trend toward over-simplification that concerns me.

Imagine raising a generation of kids who only know what buttons to push on a computer, but don't know how a computer works, or even how the OS works, or even what an OS is?

If they want to know how it works, there are many resources out there for them to learn.

But many people don't want or need to know the more intricate workings of a computer.

Reactions: Muggle
But many people don't want or need to know the more intricate workings of a computer.

And many of us have far more important things in our lives to do.

I don't understand this mentality that if you want to use a machine that you have to know exactly how the machine works before you are allowed to use it. Just smacks of bloody elitism, if you ask me.

I don't know what an "OS" is. Bite me. (Or maybe, you know, stop assuming that everybody has to know what every single bloody acronym in the bloody world is. )

Reactions: RabbitLuvr

I don't understand this mentality that if you want to use a machine that you have to know exactly how the machine works before you are allowed to use it. Just smacks of bloody elitism, if you ask me.

I don't know what an "OS" is. Bite me. (Or maybe, you know, stop assuming that everybody has to know what every single bloody acronym in the bloody world is. )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operating_system

And since I'm a vegetarian, I have no desire to bite you. :p

Isn't this a little like saying if you want to drive a car, you should know how it works and how to fix it? Most people aren't inclined to do so, but they find cars very useful.

Is it sad that I want a device on which I can read books and magazines in bed, and use my iPad to... read books and magazines in bed? Would it be less sad if I unplugged my desktop PC and moved into the bedroom every day, and set it up there to read books and magazines?

Wait a second. You read books and magazines on your computer? That's sad. You should be writing them ;)

Years ago when FAX machines came out, I decided that I didn't have to understand everything about how a machine works, I just have to know how to use it. I do have a husband and 2 kids who take care of my computers though, as far as security or problems that may arise.

Most people don't necessarily do something "more important" with that extra time, just different.

"More important" can often be relative. To me, putting together a jigsaw puzzle with my husband or riding my bicycle are more important than spending all my time creating content or learning exactly how my OS works.

Reactions: Muggle
"More important" can often be relative. To me, putting together a jigsaw puzzle with my husband or riding my bicycle are more important than spending all my time creating content or learning exactly how my OS works.

+1.

My more important stuff is finding a second job.

And *shock horror* I'm using a computer to do that without knowing how the operating system works! Oh the calamity! How will the human race ever survive because I'm more concerned with actually living my life rather than wasting my time learning a bunch of useless information?!

It's just terrible!