Christmas Around The World

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
Whilst Christmas is one the most celebrated event in most western countries, other countries don't celebrate it.
It's always interesting to see how other countries have their own traditions including customs, special treats and food.

In the UK carol singers mince pies and Christmas stockings come to mind when I look back at my childhood memories. Over here in France it's Christmas eve (24th) which is the main event were some people still go to midnight mass and then have a huge meal.

There are very few decorations and most people will put up a very modest Christmas tree one or twos days before the day.

Christmas in the United States of America on whychristmas?com

Last edited:
Christmas in the UK, British culture, customs and traditions in December - Christmas Celebrations

I've noticed that in the UK the Christmas season now starts in November. As we don't celebrate Thanksgiving so immediately after bonfire night, all the parties and gatherings commence well in advance. More and more people seem to be buying their gifts weeks ahead due to all the sales.

In France, it's a last minute thing and excitement (very little) starts a week before the 24 th.

Reactions: Val
Whilst Christmas is one the most celebrated event in most western countries, other countries don't celebrate it.
It's always interesting to see how other countries have their own traditions including customs, special treats and food.

In the UK carol singers mince pies and Christmas stockings come to mind when I look back at my childhood memories. Over here in France it's Christmas eve (24th) which is the main event were some people still go to midnight mass and then have a huge meal.

There are very few decorations and most people will put up a very modest Christmas tree one or twos days before the day.

Christmas in the United States of America on whychristmas?com
I think of carol singers as well. We used to do caroling as kids. My mom and neighbor organized our group of neighborhood kids every year, and we would rehearse at my house for weeks before going out a couple of days before Christmas, just after dinner. It was loads of fun, as many of our neighbors had special treats for us, like popcorn balls, hot chocolate, Christmas cookies and even a few quarters every now and then. :D For food, I always remember sugar cookies, gingerbread and cranberry bread. One of my aunts, who was from Italy, used to have quite a feast on Christmas Eve. She made amazing Christmas cookies and her own pasta. We loved going to her house on Christmas Eve.

Reactions: Val
Christmas in the UK, British culture, customs and traditions in December - Christmas Celebrations

I've noticed that in the UK the Christmas season now starts in November. As we don't celebrate Thanksgiving so immediately after bonfire night, all the parties and gatherings commence well in advance. More and more people seem to be buying their gifts weeks ahead due to all the sales.

In France, it's a last minute thing and excitement (very little) starts a week before the 24 th.

I wouldn’t mind that if it continued past Christmas Day, until Little Christmas on January 12. I would almost prefer it. But I have to start early because everyone is so sick of the stores starting in September, that they end up throwing out their trees and taking down their decorations, the day after Christmas. That’s just so sad to me. So I have to go along with it and start early too. I used to wait until Thanksgiving to start Christmas celebrating.

I always loved Christmas caroling. So many nice traditions aren’t carried out anymore. :(

I wouldn’t mind that if it continued past Christmas Day, until Little Christmas on January 12. I would almost prefer it. But I have to start early because everyone is so sick of the stores starting in September, that they end up throwing out their trees and taking down their decorations, the day after Christmas. That’s just so sad to me. So I have to go along with it and start early too. I used to wait until Thanksgiving to start Christmas celebrating.
I'm with you. I would love it to last past the actual day. I don't decorate until the weekend after Thanksgiving, and I leave my (fake) tree up until at least New Year's Day. :)

Reactions: Val and KLS52
Italy

Christmas season in Italy is traditionally celebrated from December 24 January 6, or Christmas Eve through Epiphany, which is often referred to as the Twelve Days of Christmas. If you're traveling to Italy during this festive season, you're certain to run into a variety of special events, celebrations, and holiday markets throughout the country.

Celebrating Christmas for 12 days follows the pagan season of celebrations that started with Saturnalia, a winter solstice festival and ended with the Roman New Year, the Calends. However many events start on December 8, the Feast Day of the Immaculate Conception, and you'll sometimes see Christmas decorations or markets even earlier than that.

No matter why or when you want to start celebrating Christmas this year, you're sure to find something to put you in the holiday spirit on your trip to Italy in late December or early January.

Unique Christmas Traditions to See in Italy
Babbo Natale (Father Christmas, or the equivalent of Santa Claus) makes the rounds on the night before Christmas, but another important day for gift-giving is Epiphany on January 6. It's the 12th day of Christmas when the three Wise Men gave Baby Jesus their gifts. In Italy, presents are brought by a friendly old witch named La Befana, who arrives in the night to fill children's stockings.

Christmas trees, lights, and decorations are often seen starting around December 8, the Feast Day of the Immaculate Conception, or even the end of November. The main focus of decorations continues to be the presepe, a Nativity scene or creche. Almost every church has a presepe, and they are often found outdoors in a piazza or public area, too.

Browse Christmas Markets Across Italy
The Trentino-Alto Adige Region in northern Italy is one of the best regions for Christmas markets, largely due to its close proximity to Germany, where the tradition originates. However, many towns across the country hold Christmas markets selling everything from tacky items to beautiful local handicrafts. You can find markets in the following cities this year:
  • Trento: Starts near the end of November and lasts all December long. The market includes more than 60 traditional wooden huts selling a variety of crafts, decorations, and food in Piazza Fiera. A large Nativity Scene is created in Piazza Duomo, too.
  • Bolzano: Daily market from the end of November through December 23 selling crafts and decorations in the historic center of town.
  • Trieste: A week-long holiday market in northeastern Italy's Friuli-Venezia Giulia region known as Fiera di San Nicolo, which takes place the first week of December. The market sells toys, candy, and Christmas items.

Reactions: PTree15 and Val
Norway

Christmas Eve is the time when presents are exchanged. The gifts are sometimes brought by Santa Claus (called 'Julenissen' in Norway). Presents are also brought by the small gnomes called 'Nisse'. There are also hobgoblins (Nisse) decorations. Children pick up the presents from under the Christmas Tree and read the cards on the presents out loud.

During Advent/December in Norway, sometimes small gifts are given on each day of December leading up to Christmas. These are known as Adventsgave or Kalendergave. There is a similar tradition in Denmark. The gifts are sometimes used together with a chocolate Advent calendar!

As in Finland, a sheaf of wheat is often left out for the birds to eat over Christmas. Also a type of rice porridge is sometimes left for the 'Nisse' who is believed to guard the farm animals.

In some parts of Norway, children like to go carol singing. Often children will dress up as characters from the Christmas Story, such as the Shepherds and Wise Men, and go singing from house to house in their local neighborhood. Sometimes they carry with paper stars on them.

Another tradition in parts of Norway is that families light a candle every night from Christmas Eve to New Year's Day.

Maybe the most famous custom about Christmas in Norway is the big Christmas Tree that Norway gives to the UK every year. The tree is given as a present to say 'thank you' for the help that the people of the UK gave to Norway during World War II. The tree stands in Trafalgar Square in the middle of London and often thousands of people come to watch when the lights are turned on.

A very popular song at Christmas time in Norway is the Musevisa (The Mouse Song). The words were written in 1946 by Alf Prøysen. The tune is a traditional Norwegian folk tune. It tells the story of some mice getting ready for Christmas and the Mother and Father mice warning their children to stay away from mouse traps! It became popular very quickly and is now as popular as ever in Norway.

Reactions: PTree15 and Val