Health Issues Chewing food(and water) saved my life

Most people eat too fast, and it takes a while for your brain to register when you're full. It has been shown that when you eat slower, it gives your brain time to 'catch up' and you eat less. So, chewing your food 150 times would make you feel full sooner than if you ate quickly.

I think the chewing water thing is probably psychological, or maybe it gives the same effect as above.

I can see how that might work with food ...

Chewing in saliva provides a very important break down/pre-digestion/preparation/whatchamayliketocallit of food before it reaches the stomach.

That is said to allow the rest of the digestive system to extract far more from food that has been well chewed than it can extract from food that hasn't.

Water can not actualy be broken down by the body in anyway though?

how boring. Seriously. who has time to do that? i'd lose weight as id be too bored to bother finishing a meal. I can sorta understand the pseudoscience around the food but chewing water makes no sense at all

I would be laughing too hard to chew my water and would undoubtedly spew it, but I am careful about chewing food thoroughly or I get a belly ache. :(
http://articles.timesofindia.indiat...62_1_stomach-food-nutritionist-naini-setalvad
"When Mahatma Gandhi said — Chew your drink and drink your food — he was stressing on the scientifically proven benefits of chewing.

How it works:
A series of recent studies conducted on chewing have established a few facts beyond an intimate connection between chewing and weight control. Speed eating, gorging and binge eating were found to majorly contribute to unhealthy weight gain. The studies confirmed chewing every mouthful for longer helps you lose weight because it allows your brain more time to receive signals from the stomach that it's full. Therefore, the slower you chew, the lesser you eat.

Besides, when you chew thoroughly, your digestive system is told of incoming food. This triggers it to produce digestive acids and help the body absorb nutrients.Inadequately digested food means inadequate absorption of nutrients, which is like paying for gourmet chocolates but getting a toffee. The leptin, ghrelin and cholestokinnen hormones, which are responsible for signaling satiation, don't reach their peak until 20 to 40 minutes after food is ingested. Speed eaters beat their body's signalkeepers by wolfing it down.

To make matters worse, unchewed food particles are not welcome in your stomach.Sloppily chewed food promotes intestinal bacteria, causing flatulence, bloating, constipation, stomach ache, cramps and even diarrhea.

Nutritionist Naini Setalvad, who considers correct chewing as the first mantra ofhealthy eating, faults parents for inculcating the gulping-down habit. "Mothers keep telling their children to finish what's on their plates fast so to catch the school bus, classes or anything.The most common refrain is 'Jaldi karo... why are you taking so long to eat?' Our health entirely depends on what we eat and how well our body absorbs it. Incomplete chewing ruins the digestion process and leads to irritable bowel syndrome and flatulence, among other problems."

Where it starts
Digestion begins in your mouth. Efficient chewing increases the surface area of foods, affording a thorough breakdown by enzymes. Saliva also contains lingual lipase, a fat metabolising enzyme, which breaks down fat before it reaches the stomach. If the fat reached the stomach inadequately chewed, brace yourself for digestion problems. The longer your food stays in touch with your saliva, the better it gets lubricated and lesser the stress on your esophagus. Even digesting carbohydrates starts with chewing right as your saliva detaches chemical bonds that connect the starch-containing simple sugars. When you don't chew well, these enzymes can't break down starches or digest fats, inducing sluggishness and loss of energy.

Setalvad says, "Almost everyone who comes to me does not chew their food properly. The first thing I do to ensure they chew well is to add a salad or raw vegetables to their meals. I know if they aren't chewing properly when they return with constipation or irritable bowel syndrome."

I prefer to inhale my food, generally.

I remember a science class where the teacher handed around bread and made us chew it a certain number of times before swallowing (I think it was around 30). The point was to see how the taste changed as it broke down - it started to become quite sweet, which was super unpleasant. I don't think I'd enjoy chewing my food that much. That being said, I know I should slow down my eating a fair amount. I've just always eaten really quickly, for a number of reasons.

I think, though, given the situation in the article, I would definitely try chewing my food more. It might be a purely psychological reaction, but I can see it working...

I should definitely chew my food more. I'm a very quick eater. But chewing your food 150 times would be very unpleasant - I'm pretty sure you'd feel ill. I think there is probably a happy middle ground where you break down your food to make it easier for your body, send all the right signals to feel full up, etc, but without reducing eating to a disgusting chore :p

I remember a TV program where people trialed historical diets. One of them was a diet where you had to chew you food a certain amount of times (can't remember what: it was lots) before you could swallow. It was the least-liked diet of the program and people said it was vile, from what I remember.

If food is chewed 150 times, the result would be small bits of food, already partially digested by saliva, which would be more quickly digested, right?

Wouldn't that cause a more rapid spike in blood sugar?

I'm an incredibly slow eater as it is. I would probably never get up from the table if I chewed that many times.