Chess Anyone?

I was wondering whether any members play chess?

In the real world, I know only one person who plays so that makes it difficult to play against someone who isn't a computer. As we all know the computer always wins so that's not much fun.

About 8.6% of the world’s population or roughly 700 million people play chess.
Majority of these players will never reach even 1000 rating level which is considered to be
a beginner’s strength.

10 Reasons Why Most People Are Not Good at Chess (and how to fix it)
I play chess against my computer. I don't have much choice due to social distancing and the fact that I know hardly anyone who plays. I'm not much good, probably because I don't play often enough. I'll go for months, perhaps years, sometimes hardly playing; then I'll have a burst of enthusiasm which is usually dampened by the computer winning nearly every game! Lol.

I play chess against my computer. I don't have much choice due to social distancing and the fact that I know hardly anyone who plays. I'm not much good, probably because I don't play often enough. I'll go for months, perhaps years, sometimes hardly playing; then I'll have a burst of enthusiasm which is usually dampened by the computer winning nearly every game! Lol.

Playing against real people is more fun! Chess.com and Lichess are good apps that will pair you up with real opponents.

Reactions: Ahimsa
Well - if my husband were still alive he would have enjoyed playing with you!
He wouldn’t need lessons though - he was Really good...He played online a Lot, or just set up the board and played on his own. We would always search out chess clubs wherever we were so that he could play .Unfortunately I am Not someone who enjoys board games. He was also Really good at Go which is an ancient Asian game. Do you know it?
Go is also one of those games with close to infinite combinations of possible moves. The goals are quite different in that you are trying to surround enemy forces by way of a siege. In chess your main goal is to directly break down your opponents structure. Both amazing games that have been in existence for thousands of years. Sorry about your loss and would have loved to meet him if he were still around today.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1956
Go is also one of those games with close to infinite combinations of possible moves. The goals are quite different in that you are trying to surround enemy forces by way of a siege. In chess your main goal is to directly break down your opponents structure. Both amazing games that have been in existence for thousands of years. Sorry about your loss and would have loved to meet him if he were still around today.
Ah, well I’m sure that he would have enjoyed playing chess or Go with you! He had one good friend in San Francisco who played both games, but, in most places he had a hard time finding anyone to play either with. It would have been a bonus for him that you are a fellow Vegan. Keep on playing, I know that it is great for keeping the mind sharp...

Just met two other vegan chess-players at a local rapid tournament yesterday. We were all joking about starting a business combining playing chess with advocating animal rights at the same time. Maybe an idea in the works 🧐.

Reactions: PTree15
I used to, years ago. I was no expert/champion by any means but I enjoyed it.

Same here.:up:
Me too. I played a little back in high school, or possibly a few years after that- but didn't really learn much more than how the individual pieces moved. I remember reading a book about chess strategy- opening moves, midgame strategy, endgame- but I didn't absorb anything really. I don't remember what book it was, but the author's attitude was comically over-the-top.

One of my sisters used to get overly competitive playing Monopoly- kinda like it was real money she was losing or winning...