Chess Anyone?

I played a lot of chess in Jr. High and High school. I was a bit of a geek before we knew what geeks were.

As a young adult, i had a small group of friends, like 4 -6 guys, who must have had some unfulfilled experimental psych ambitions. We would play each other on different drugs. Like one guy would smoke pot and the other would drink beer. Alcohol vs uppers. LSD vs X. Record keeping was nonexistent. Protocols were disregarded. Conclusions were hard to come by.

I used to play when I was very young. I played in a tournament with the cubs but lost the first game. When I lived in Wales I joined a chess club but I kept losing. These people played by the clock and they seemed to know exactly what move to make every time as if they had memorized every possible attack and defence. I couln't compete with that.:(

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
I played a lot of chess in Jr. High and High school. I was a bit of a geek before we knew what geeks were.

As a young adult, i had a small group of friends, like 4 -6 guys, who must have had some unfulfilled experimental psych ambitions. We would play each other on different drugs. Like one guy would smoke pot and the other would drink beer. Alcohol vs uppers. LSD vs X. Record keeping was nonexistent. Protocols were disregarded. Conclusions were hard to come by.
How did I NOT do that-- at least intentionally? :rofl:
Certainly did playing AD&D! Half the party only drank, but that just worked with the quest, and fit our characters

• Love
Reactions: Lou
I played chess with my kids when they were young, tried to get my older son to compete. The last time we drove quite a way to an outdoor venue and no one showed up!
I'm not at all good. I prefer backgammon!
I remember playing checkers a while back. It was actually more thoughtful than I remembered :confused:
I have an urge to play a board game now!
Scrabbles my thing, but I kinda obsess over structure.

Reactions: Lou
Okay--- I was looking up a game called Tigo that I've had since my kids were small. One player has tigers, the other goats, and either the tigers capture all goats or the goats gang up and leave the tigers no more moves. It was reeally challenging, and only my older son seemed to excel at it, very engaging though.

Anyway, I came across these fabulous cat tee shirts and I want one of each-

Okay--- I was looking up a game called Tigo that I've had since my kids were small. One player has tigers, the other goats, and either the tigers capture all goats or the goats gang up and leave the tigers no more moves.

At camp, the kids would play a tag-like game. They would hold their hands over their head if they were plants. make rabbit ears if they were rabbits, and do something else if they were wolves. "periods" would last a minute. The rabbits would tag the grass which could just stand there. the grass would turn into rabbits. the wolves would tag the rabbits and the rabbits would become wolves. At the end of the period, the umpire turns people into plants, or rabbits, or wolves, and a new period would start.
Educational-wise it demonstrates predator-prey relationships. And you can change up the numbers that start the periods. Like what would happen if you started with more wolves. or fewer plants. Or longer periods.

I'm not sure if the kids really learned anything. but they had fun.

• Informative

In college I played chess on Yahoo Games which gave you an ELO rating. I liked playing stoned but I didn't want to spoil my rating, so I setup a separate account specifically for playing high. I ended up doing significantly better, around 10% higher ELO. I started taking that account more seriously and didn't want to spoil my rating playing sober :joy: probably raised my inhibitions/paranoia just enough to evaluate my moves more thoroughly.

My best game of Tetris was on a half-tab of acid...got to level 74 or something absurd like that.

I was looking at the games in the charity shop today, probably because of this thread. They had pictionary in there.

• Friendly
I was looking at the games in the charity shop today, probably because of this thread. They had pictionary in there.

I like Trivial Pursuit. You can find tons of different board games in the Charity shops as kids nowadays prefer screens to the latter. :D

The UK’s top ten favourite after dinner games for UK adults to play this Christmas are:

Monopoly. Trivial Pursuit. Scrabble. Pictionary. Cluedo. Draughts / Checkers. Cards Against Humanity. Chess. Battleship. Yahtzee

Reactions: Raven
Chess is my whole life right now. No classical tournaments at the Denver Chess Club at least not for a few months. Training w a couple of NMs who are helping me earn my first USCF title. My coach is one of the reasons I decided to go vegan. He’s also is working through an autoimmune disorder but has amazing mental sharpness. Started learning the game about 5 years ago and really nerding out the past couple. If you really want to improve it will help to find players (Karpov, Ho Yifan, Magnus, ...) who have a style you like (aggressive, positional, tactical, solid) and build around that.

Mainly on lichess.org:

Chess is my whole life right now. No classical tournaments at the Denver Chess Club at least not for a few months. Training w a couple of NMs who are helping me earn my first USCF title. My coach is one of the reasons I decided to go vegan. He’s also is working through an autoimmune disorder but has amazing mental sharpness. Started learning the game about 5 years ago and really nerding out the past couple. If you really want to improve it will help to find players who have a style you like (aggressive, positional, tactical, solid) and build around that.

Mainly on lichess.org:

Perhaps you could give us a few tips. :p

I like Trivial Pursuit. You can find tons of different board games in the Charity shops as kids nowadays prefer screens to the latter. :D

The UK’s top ten favourite after dinner games for UK adults to play this Christmas are:

Monopoly. Trivial Pursuit. Scrabble. Pictionary. Cluedo. Draughts / Checkers. Cards Against Humanity. Chess. Battleship. Yahtzee

I think I will look to see what they have next time I'm in there.

• Love
Perhaps you could give us a few tips. :p

There are tons of great resources out there. Most chess books are hard to digest until you are comfortable with the notation and start seeing some of the squares in your mind. If you are under 1500 you will make bigger jumps from simply doing chess.com tactics trainer or any puzzles online for 20min a day.

Offering free lessons on zoom for anyone interested, some days available 6-8pm Denver mountain time.
Well - if my husband were still alive he would have enjoyed playing with you!
He wouldn’t need lessons though - he was Really good...He played online a Lot, or just set up the board and played on his own. We would always search out chess clubs wherever we were so that he could play .Unfortunately I am Not someone who enjoys board games. He was also Really good at Go which is an ancient Asian game. Do you know it?