Charges dropped vs. worker who broke window depicting slaves

beancounter

The Fire That Burns Within
Reaction score
So now you're free to destroy anything you find offensive....

A letter to the Dean? An article in the newspaper expressing your issue? - nope, just break anything that offends you.

And for those of you who will have the predictable knee jerk reaction and start calling me racist...I don't care what the subject matter is, you do not have a right to destroy property that isn't yours, period.

Charges dropped vs. worker who broke window depicting slaves

Dropping the charges seems very logical to me in this case:

The Article said:
But he and the school reached an agreement. He apologized and resigned and the school said it would support dropping the charges.

Prosecutor David Strollo told Judge Philip Scarpellino Tuesday that in light of the school's position that there was no reason to pursue the case further.

So I don't see this setting any kind of precendent....

After the window was broken inside the dining hall, Yale officials recommended that it and other windows be removed from Calhoun College and conserved for future study.

What Mr. Menafee did brought about positive change much quicker than a letter to the dean or some newspaper would have. He did the right thing, and so did Yale.

I guess they also did not really want to create a controversy about their picture of happy cotton-picking slaves and their dedication to Mr. Calhoun, who was a prominent slavery supporter.

5785377e1b00002600f6d807.png

It is interesting to see that Yale has offered Mr. Menafee to come back and take another job in a different area.

My personal guess is that they were maybe not too happy about the window anymore, either...

Yup. That window (and other things, including the fact that the building is named after Calhoun) has been the subject of controversy for some time.