Changed litter, bunny doesn't go in litter box as much

Danielle

forever seeking fire
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I used this at first- http://www.petmountain.com/product/...er-premium-quality-potty-training-pearls.html
But it's expensive, so I switched to this- http://lookingforpurchase.com/Yesterdays-News-198.html
I chose Fresh News over Yesterdays News because YN has softwood mixed in with recycled paper, while Fresh News is 100% recycled paper.

He's pooping more outside the litter box, and more on the floor. (not caged) Ugh. So annoying. What can I do? The other litter I used before is a bit pricey, although I would like him to actually go in the litter box.

Could you go back to the old litter, get his litterbox habits re-established, and then gradually switch over, increasing the proportion of the new type of litter to the old gradually over time?

Yeah I could do that. I think he loved pushing the pearls around, can't really do that with the current litter.
Not sure if I should just use a different litter as well, something that he can push around..

I would try mlp's suggestion, as well. When you start mixing the litter together, you can also try saving a scoop of soiled litter (make sure it has both poop and pee) and transfer it into the box when you clean it out. It doesn't need to be a lot, just enough to remind bunny that the box is the place do do his business.

I would try mlp's suggestion, as well. When you start mixing the litter together, you can also try saving a scoop of soiled litter (make sure it has both poop and pee) and transfer it into the box when you clean it out. It doesn't need to be a lot, just enough to remind bunny that the box is the place do do his business.
+1

Alright I switched him back to the old stuff, but he just keeps pooping and peeing everywhere... What should I do? I'm getting frustrated, having to sweep up bunny poop daily and I feel like it's a waste of money to buy litter if I'm just going to sweep up his poops.

How is he doing now? If he's still going outside of the box, is it every time or just some of the time? Is it just poop or is he also peeing outside the box?

I remember when litter training my bunny it was important to put some dirty little with poo and wee in it into the new fresh tray. Rabbits naturally like to go in the same place, so this tells them where that is. Eventually you wont need to but for a while it just helps them out.

Sounds like your bunny is a bit confused. If there's still a problem, put the litter tray where your rabbit goes the most, where ever that may be, and make sure to clean everything else up thoroughly so the smell is gone - don't just sweep it away. That way
a) the tray is where he/she wants to go anyway and
b) the tray is the only place smelling like pee/poo
and I think that should help. This is pretty much what we did to train our bunny.