News Carnage - Swallowing the past (new film on BBC iPlayer)

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I have written and directed a film about veganism. I’m sorry.
Simon Amstell

Stand-up comedian Simon Amstell directs his first feature length film Carnage - Swallowing The Past, for BBC iPlayer.
Set in a utopian 2067, Carnage looks back at a time when human beings ate other animals.

For the young people of this time, the idea that their grandparents could have been complicit in a bloodbath of unnecessary suffering is wholly unimaginable.
More: BBC - Simon Amstell brings Carnage to BBC iPlayer - Media Centre

This movie makes a bold attempt to take the core messages of veganism - such as that it is immoral to eat meat, treat animals as products and so on - and yet be funny to the general public at large - the movie does not appear to be targeted at vegans. It's a courageous effort but I think only partially successful. In theory it's a comedy, but in practice it's an educational movie with just enough half-decent jokes to try and make it non preachy (possibly).

I think looking at carnism from a future perspective is a new twist on it which is needed because otherwise this movie would lack originality, since so much media has already repeated the core messages of veganism.

I watched a presumably illegal version on youtube. If you're outside the UK, you might not get the humour quite as much, it is for a British audience to an extent, since it references British events and people quite a lot.

Making veganism funny to non-vegans and using humour to promote veganism - quite a challenge. If anyone knows of anything that can do this well I'd be interested to know!