UK Car park skeleton confirmed as Richard III

What a cool-looking coffin that is. It is amazing to think of the changes in the way people live in just those few hundred years. I remember my grandmother saying that as a child riding in a horse and buggy, she would never have dreamed she would be flying across the world in a jet airplane as an adult.

Now there are doubts! Are these really the remains of Richard III?
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ii-remains-leicester-doubt-car-park-academics

As an amateur genealogist (meaning I'm an expert, of course. :p), why don't they figure out what kin there is, and where they died?

It's not a perfect technique, but nothing is, of course. I'd say they met the burden of proof if they can show that no other known contenders would likely share those features and be buried at the same location in the same time period.

Yes, it seemed pretty convincing to me, but you know what these academics are like. They will criticize the conclusion even if there's only an academical possibility it's wrong.

Well, it's a valid criticism, and they should rule out other probabilities, IMO.

King Richard III set for 'effective state funeral' following his death in 1485
By CitizenNews | Posted: August 08, 2014

6613313-large.jpg

King Richard III

Comments (0)
KING Richard III is set to receive an ‘effective state funeral’ – more than 500 years after his death.

The king, the only English monarch without a marked grave, will lie in repose for three days and will have a cortege for the ceremony at Leicester Cathedral.

Read more at King Richard III set for 'effective state funeral' following his death in 1485 | Gloucester Citizen
Richard III to be reburied at Leicester cathedral in March | UK news | The Guardian

Just saw the start of this on TV now:
THOUSANDS have lined the streets to see the coffin of England's long lost Richard III taken to his final burial, five centuries after his death on the battlefield.

THE remains of the last English monarch to die in battle were discovered under a municipal car park in 2012, 527 years after he was killed in 1485.
More:
Thousands salute Richard III's coffin | Herald Sun (March 23, 2015)

I love how there is a whole society of people devoted to restoring his reputation. I am just envisioning farcical scenes of them taking direct action against productions of Shakespeare.