Can you spot why teacher failed primary school pupil for answering 5x3=15 in maths test

divide by 8, I mean, shift right
Ah, yes, I see now!
on my old assembly programming the unit digit would go into the flag, I think.....or should it be roll right.....can't remember.
Yes, it seems on the C64, which I suppose is similar to your VIC20, there are ROR, ROL, ASL (arithmetic shift left), but no corresponding ASR ...

Does this mean that you start to calculate when you hear the question "7x5" ? :dizzy:

I don't need to calculate, I immediately know that the result coupled to these numbers is 35, learned that in primary school.
I thought everybody would learn it like that.....

I learned it like that too. Of course, while one is memorizing the multiplication table , one also realizes that it's simply addition.

Indeed, it is simple additions.

When my kids were learning that in primary school, they learned to do e.g. "5x7" by silently mumbling ("ok ... 5x7 ... hmm ... 5 ... 10 ... 15 ... 20 ... 25 ... 30 ... 35 it is!!!!" while counting with their fingers ... and making errors in the counting, maybe 20 % of the time. (Drove me mad, that one, I have to admit)

Needless to say, that I normally asked them multiples of 8 or 9 on purpose, to prove to them the superiority of the "know the tables by heart" method :D

Maybe the old style teaching methods had some merit. :)

I would always remember the fate of the wives of Henry VIII as someone told me this when I was about 6 years old - divorced, beheaded, died, divorced, beheaded, survived.:D

That is ridiculous. I used to get told off in class for never showing my workings, but luckily you didn't actually lose points on the exam for it if you got the right answer. The workings were just there to save you a couple of points if the answer was wrong but some of the method was right. But this is worse - the correct workings are right there on the page, the answer is right, and the poor kid is losing points! Jeez.

Reactions: Andy_T
@Mr Crunchy , thank you for your input!

So, what is your view on learning multiplying tables by heart?
I must confess that while I have the 10x10 pat down, from the 20x20, I only remember maybe 30 %...

My view is, if you do not "intuitively" know the product of those numbers up to 10x10, how are you ever going to be able to do a division on a piece of paper?

There's no way getting around it. You have to know multiplication up to nines to be able to multiply and divide large numbers. But as Blobbenstein pointed out, I have the students do worksheets where they have to solve a puzzle by answering multiplication problems (or whatever we're studying that day). It gives them incentive, and it's self-correcting because if the puzzle solution won't make sense if they get any wrong.

Oddly, some students have expressed to me that they would rather just do a page of rote math problems without the puzzle fun part of it. Go figure.

That is ridiculous. I used to get told off in class for never showing my workings, but luckily you didn't actually lose points on the exam for it if you got the right answer. The workings were just there to save you a couple of points if the answer was wrong but some of the method was right. But this is worse - the correct workings are right there on the page, the answer is right, and the poor kid is losing points! Jeez.
My sister is a math person, as was my dad. He taught her an easier way to divide when she was quite young, and her teacher accused her of cheating. G tried to show her the quicker way, but she was sent to the principal. That is the only time my dad ever went to the school, in my memory. He was not happy one bit, with his dual engineering/mathematics degrees!

He made me memorize my multiplication tables. Through the 12s. :/

My sister is a math person, as was my dad. He taught her an easier way to divide when she was quite young, and her teacher accused her of cheating. G tried to show her the quicker way, but she was sent to the principal. That is the only time my dad ever went to the school, in my memory. He was not happy one bit, with his dual engineering/mathematics degrees!

He made me memorize my multiplication tables. Through the 12s. :/

Ha, I can imagine he wouldn't be.

When I was at school, we had to memorise multiplication tables up to the 12s - and this wasn't super long ago (I'm 25), so I wonder if they still do it. We would memorise them, and then ask the teacher to test us when we were confident so she could sign it off. I got told to 'slow down and let the other kids have a chance' when I asked her to test me on all of them in one lesson...

Reactions: Andy_T and ledboots
We also had to learn our tables off by heart. I always used to get stuck with the 9s.:D

I was never very good at maths and hated maths lessons. However, I know how to manage a budget and my money.

one rule I know is if all the digits of a number add up to a number divisible by 3 then the whole number is divisible by 3...........8956353784=58 so is not divisible by 3...............mmmmm

9s are easy because the answer adds up to 9. The 8s were my sticking point!

Yes, that is how you can find out if any number can be evenly divided by 9 ... that the sum of all the digits adds up to 9.
Same for 3.

I also learned that again, much later, in my accounting lessons.
When looking for errors in account closing, if the difference you are looking for is divisible by 9, then you have a high possibility that you turned around 2 numbers when transcribing them ... e.g. you put 95678 instead of 96578. The difference is 900, which is divisable by 9. (Of course, if you have made more than 1 error and the differences add up, this won't work any more)

That was, of course, when I learned the "old way" of keeping accounts, on sheets of paper, which was the standard before computers were widely used for such mundane tasks. We learned that possibly to know the history and to appreciate the fact that our school had then just acquired computers and accounting software :)