Animal Advocacy Cameron's plan to ease ban on fox hunting

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Apparently, the current laws already allow for hunting foxes with two dogs, but now Cameron plans to change the law so that more than two dogs can be used. Labour MPs are expected to generally vote against the legislation.

David Cameron faces a Tory rebellion of up to 45 MPs over his plans this week to ease the laws on fox-hunting. [...]However, veteran Labour MP Kate Hoey has said she will back the Tories and support what she called a “very sensible rationalisation” of the law in response to the request of upland farmers.
More: Fox-hunting: David Cameron facing Tory rebellion from 45 MPs over 'back door' plan to relax ban - Mirror Online (11. July 2015)

I saw some rural people being interviewed before the election on the Daily Politics and they said that the issue of fox hunting was the main reason they were voting Conservative.

I saw some rural people being interviewed before the election on the Daily Politics and they said that the issue of fox hunting was the main reason they were voting Conservative.

Some people have very little worries in their lives.:rolleyes:

I signed the petition to ban fox hunting the other day. There are quite a few of them on-line.

CFTutgPWMAAbZpK_zpsmzgmzd5z.jpg

The plan to ease the ban has been torpedoed for now! The SNP decided to vote (and vote against it) even though the planned "ease" supposedly wouldn't affect Scotland.

So now the Tories are planning to have their EVIL law voted on first. I mean, EVEL law - English Votes for English Laws. That way, the SNP won't have a say on the issue.

Apparently, the current laws already allow for hunting foxes with two dogs, but now Cameron plans to change the law so that more than two dogs can be used. Labour MPs are expected to generally vote against the legislation.

Maybe a dumb question, but why is it less cruel to hunt a fox with two dogs rather than, say, six? What is magical about the number two?

ETA: What does the expression "a free vote in the House of Commons" mean? Does it mean that the political parties will not try to influence or coerce their members to vote a certain way?

Last edited:
ETA: What does the expression "a free vote in the House of Commons" mean? Does it mean that the political parties will not try to influence or coerce their members to vote a certain way?

a free vote is where an MP can vote what they like. They don't have the 'whip', and don't have to vote for what the government wants or what was in the manifesto.

a free vote is where an MP can vote what they like. They don't have the 'whip', and don't have to vote for what the government wants or what was in the manifesto.

Thank you for the explanation. How is it determined or decided whether a vote will be "free" or not?

I was surprised to read that so many people were going to vote Tory simply because of the fox hunting issue.

Thank you for the explanation. How is it determined or decided whether a vote will be "free" or not?

I think the free vote on fox hunting was in the manifesto.

It allows for MPs to vote on a contentious issue, so that an MP can vote for what his constituents want, which may be different for different MPs, and also vote with their conscience.

The Tories only have a small majority and a lot of them wouldn't vote to overturn a ban, and Labour are united against ending the ban, so here the Primeminister has used the issue against the SNP, as the SNP said they would vote against the ending of the ban, in England, which wouldn't affect Scotland. Cameron wants to stop the SNP voting on issues that don't affect Scotland.

I'm sure some Tory backers want an end to the ban, and Cameron can show them that he is trying, even if he won't succeed. Too many people in the UK are against fox hunting....there was even a puppet fox that was popular when I was a kid; Basil Brush...

2285699-basil_brush1976.jpg

them were the days.