UK British Pie Week

What is the difference between cottage pie and shepherd's pie? I thought they were interchangeable terms, yet I see both referenced on this site. I even Googled cottage pie and the first result said "shepherd's pie"

Cottage pie is made with beef and sheperd's pie is made with lamb. So, I guess veg*ans can call it either cottage or shepherd's as it made with neither.;)

Even though both dishes are called pies, technically they are not classified as the real thing. A pie is a dish that has either one or two layers of pastry with a filling.;)

I remember some time ago reading about a debate in the Telegraph on the definition of a pie :

When is a pie not a pie? Mary Berry reignites food's greatest debate

Last edited:
Cd1yijFVIAAUka4.jpg

It's British Pie Week-6-12th March

Cottage pie is made with beef and sheperd's pie is made with lamb. So, I guess veg*ans can call it either cottage or shepherd's as it made with neither.;)

Even though both dishes are called pies, technically they are not classified as the real thing. A pie is a dish that has either one or two layers of pastry with a filling.;)

I remember some time ago reading about a debate in the Telegraph on the definition of a pie :

When is a pie not a pie? Mary Berry reignites food's greatest debate
The way I understand it, a shepherds pie is always made with lamb, anything else is cottage pie. These days though, most people seem to simply call it all shepherds pie. When my mum used to make it with minced beef we called it shepherds pie. I'm a bit fussier and prefer to use the original distinction.

• Informative
Reactions: silva and shyvas
The way I understand it, a shepherds pie is always made with lamb, anything else is cottage pie. These days though, most people seem to simply call it all shepherds pie. When my mum used to make it with minced beef we called it shepherds pie. I'm a bit fussier and prefer to use the original distinction.

I have always heard that shepherd's pie is made with minced lamb and cottage with minced beef. I call my vegan version cottage pie. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter as we all know that we're not making the original meat version. o_O

• Agree
Reactions: Brian W
Can it still be pie week?
Can we celebrate in the US.?
Can we declare this International Decade of Pie?
It is Pi day in the U.S.!
I would love a strawberry rhubarb :drool:
I have extreme dessert cravings right now and can't think what I could have o_O.
I may make pudding later, but no pie

Reactions: vesper818
It is Pi day in the U.S.!
I would love a strawberry rhubarb :drool:
I have extreme dessert cravings right now and can't think what I could have o_O.
I may make pudding later, but no pie
I miss rhubarb! Back in Iowa, my 1st MIL grew both strawberries and rhubarb and I loved those pies! Rhubarb doesn't grow in Florida. :(

I miss rhubarb! Back in Iowa, my 1st MIL grew both strawberries and rhubarb and I loved those pies! Rhubarb doesn't grow in Florida. :(
Oh wow! Where I grew up it seemed rhubarb grew easily. I could be mistaken, but I think it grew in a vacant lot. I had no luck planting it, and it's rare to find in stores, a very short time
I should try planting in a pot with better soil. Strawberries are so plentiful at my produce market I wouldn't bother with those