News British Girl who Fled to Join Isis-Wants to Come Home

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
''A British schoolgirl who fled to Syria to join Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant has said she does not regret it, but wants to return to the UK to give birth.
Shamima Begum, 19, vanished from her home in Bethnal Green in London four years ago, along with two other teenage girls, Kadiza Sultana and Amira Abase.
A girl who identified herself as Shamima Begum, was found in a refugee camp in Syria as the Isil caliphate collapsed, the Times reported.

In an interview with the newspaper she described how she had been living in the caliphate and had married an Isil fighter from the Netherlands called Yago Riedijk.

She was heavily pregnant and due to give birth any day.''

Ben Wallace, Minister of State for Security, says that she has a right to come back home but this will entail consequences.

British schoolgirl who joined Isil found in Syria and 'wants to come home'

I wonder what consequences exactly this will have for her, if she returns? ISIL is widely recognized as a terror group, so it could be quite severe, I think.

I wonder what consequences exactly this will have for her, if she returns? ISIL is widely recognized as a terror group, so it could be quite severe, I think.

To answer your question :

Home Office Minister Ben Wallace has said everyone who returns from taking part in the conflict in Syria or Iraq must expect to be investigated by the police. She may also be prosecuted.

This will determine if they have committed criminal offences, and to ensure that they do not pose a threat to national security.

'There are a range of terrorism offences where individuals can be convicted for crimes committed overseas.'

From what I have heard on the news this morning, many people do not agree to her coming back to the UK. Moreover, she does not seem remorseful. Her two babies both have died and now she want to give birth to her 3 rd baby and live a peaceful life in the UK.

One of the other girls ( the trio left the UK together) has been killed and the 3 rd is still fighting with Isil.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: KLS52
From what I have heard on the news this morning, many people do not agree to her coming back to the UK.
I'm not surprised! But if she's a British citizen it would clearly be her right to return, and at the same time it would also clearly be correct procedure that she's investigated and potentially prosecuted.

Reactions: KLS52
I'm not surprised! But if she's a British citizen it would clearly be her right to return, and at the same time it would also clearly be correct procedure that she's investigated and potentially prosecuted.

The Supreme Court has ruled otherwise.

Lord Reed said the appropriate answer was not to force the government to bring Ms Begum back to the UK - but to pause her legal fight over citizenship until she is in a safer position to take part in her appeal.

To answer your question :

Home Office Minister Ben Wallace has said everyone who returns from taking part in the conflict in Syria or Iraq must expect to be investigated by the police. She may also be prosecuted.

This will determine if they have committed criminal offences, and to
ensure that they do not pose a threat to national security.

'There are a range of terrorism offences where individuals can be convicted for crimes committed overseas.'

From what I have heard on the news this morning, many people do not agree to her coming back to the UK. Moreover, she does not seem remorseful. Her two babies both have died and now she want to give birth to her 3 rd baby and live a peaceful life in the UK.

One of the other girls ( the trio left the UK together) has been killed and the 3 rd is still fighting with Isil.
This would be my concern.

• Agree
Reactions: shyvas