British dairy farmer dies fighting for Kurds

robert99

On the boat
Reaction score
The British dairy farmer who fell in battle against Isis
Body of man who died fighting IS in Syria 'may not return to UK' - BBC News
The 22-year-old dairy farmer from Reading Dean Carl Evans ...found such fulfilment in battling extremists on the dusty fringe of Syria that he never wanted to leave.
The idea of joining up was born in long hours in the fields, worrying about the rise of the terrorist group and the horror it was spreading. “I was on my own on a tractor and had a lot of time to think and listen to the radio,” he said.

Evans came from a military family, and although he did not join the army he was increasingly drawn to tackling violence with force. “It wasn’t a specific incident which happened, it was the fact that I knew people were coming here to help. It didn’t fit right with me that I was at home living my comfortable life when I could be here.”

The Observer has obtained audiotapes of a previously unpublished interview Evans gave a few months after reaching Syria. Clear about the risk of death, he talked frankly about the difficulties of life on the frontline, and explained why he chose to sacrifice his life in a foreign war that he saw as very personal.