Handhelds Bob Rankin Column on "AntiSmart" Phones [Attn: robert 99]

Joe

Forum Legend
Reaction score
[FLIP] The Rise of Anti-Smartphones

Is It Smart to Have a Dumb Phone?

Those of us old enough to remember 90s-era flip phones often wax nostalgic about their elegant simplicity and ruggedness. They were good for phone calls and texts, and not much else. But it seems that those so-called “dumb phones" are making a comeback, and you'll be surprised at some of the people who are sporting them. ... Good news… you can still buy an old-school flip phone. ...
Home Depot, of all places, sells a $4.97 LG 440G Tracfone prepaid flip phone that connects to the Web via GSM and includes a 1.3 Mpixel still or video camera.

The noteworthy thing about these and other “dinky” little flip phones is that people really like them. Even though you can't play Pokemon Go on these devices, their buyers give them average ratings of 4.0 or higher! And maybe that's exactly why they like them.

Celebrities and high-powered business executives have been spotted using ancient flip phones. Warren Buffett has sung their praises. Rock icon Iggy Pop told New York magazine that he uses a flip phone, in part, “because you can drop it a lot and it won’t break.” Even Rhianna has been spotted using a flip phone, and any teenage girl will tell you there’s no one cooler than Rhianna.

[FLIP] The Rise of Anti-Smartphones

Reactions: MadamSarcastra
An updated version of the legendary Nokia 3310 model is being released:
The rumours are true – the Nokia 3310 is back, and it even has Snake. The updated version of the early noughties icon, famed for its seemingly indestructible qualities, was unveiled at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona on Sunday.

Anticipation of the device, a phone that doesn’t even have 3G, has been high ever since news of its release leaked earlier this year. The relaunched 3310 is produced by new mobile firm HMD Global, which licensed the Nokia brand last year. HMD is filled with key ex-Nokia people, and the phone appears to have lost none of the charm and identity of the 17-year-old original.
The Nokia 3310 is back - and it even has Snake (26. Feb. 2017)

I bought around 2012 on eBay a new/never used Nokia 6310i phone (was discontinued in 2005) to use as backup, out of exactly that nostalgic feeling.

While it is certainly great for making phone calls, I have to admit that after my initial enthusiasm had waned off, I found the simple ringtones and especially the monochrome low-resolution screen a bit limiting.

I know there are people who have no love for smartphones, but I'm not among them. The minute I swapped out my crappy old Samsung flip phone for my iPhone, I was intensely happy. I love it and won't ever go back.

I've had this thing for well over a decade and I LOVE it! Just wish the inner screen hadn't busted (dropped something on it when playing music).... but texting was a dream! Touch-screen (that does NOT need your finger or special stylus) when closed, awesome keyboard when open.

verizonlgenvtouch11.jpg

I've used my folks smart-phones and can't STAND them... they're too big, too touchy, and quite clumsy. Not for me. LOL :p

Reactions: Freesia
I wonder which companies/carriers will allow you to use the Nokia phone. I get my phone service through Virgin Mobile, and they seem to be quite restrictive about which phones can be used. I also have a TracFone as a "back up" phone.

The article said the phones would cost 42 pounds, which equals $52.21. That is much more expensive than any cellphone that I have ever owned. The one I'm using now cost me $15.

I've been wondering if it wouldn't have been smarter if I had purchased an inexpensive flip phone and bought an iPad instead. I never use my phone as a phone. I use it as a mini computer and for texting.

Husband has been using this for a few years.
IMG_2401.jpg

I can't imagine going back to an old style phone. I do find the newer phones quite annoying as they are so sensitive, I'm forever accidentally calling my voicemail!:p

What I don't understand is why anyone would have those expensive plans. I got a free smart phone from Cricket, unlimited text, voice and data. High speed started at 2 mb and they keep raising it every now and then. I get almost a month before it slows down. $35.00 a month

I wouldnt mind getting a dumbphone next time, I might do that but the problem is that the only dumbphones I see in the store are cheap looking things, like they assume noone would buy one so they put no effort into making them...

I liked using the number keys to text... I am too dyspraxic to use a tiny qwerty keyboard... and I have problems doing computer things on a little screen.

I used to be kind of an elitist about this ("get with the program!") but it's really a personal decision based on what you want to do with the phone. If you're on the internet every forty seconds and need content pumped into your brain every conceivable moment, then a smartphone is for you. If you just want to call people then save your money and just get a regular phone, and to hell with anyone who laughs at you for having something that looks straight out of 2006.

Personally my last five have all been iPhones and that's the only thing that could ever satisfy me at this point. The UI is so much better than anything else on the market, to the point where the contrast between an iPhone and even the newest Android devices unsettles me. As backwards and weird as Apple is, they really have this nailed down.

I used to be a flip phone advocate, but really the only advantage from my perspective is the compact size. I've grown dependent on my smart phone, and it even saved my ars once when I was in Tucson, and my GPS died. I just turned on Google maps, and I was on my way.

Since I work from home, I use voice more than any other feature, which is funny since most people almost never use voice. It's a good thing that my plan come with unlimited voice, or I'd be hurting. Last month I logged about 1,200 minutes.