Bernie's Wife under FBI Investigation

Mischief

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
I first mentioned this last year when the Bernie supporters were insisting that their candidate would have won because he was untouched by scandal. The issue is whether his wife intentionally lied when she misrepresented how much the college was expecting in donations in order to secure a very sizable loan to expand its physical assets. (The college ended up going bust because of the debt.)

The investigation is now coming to a head: Op-Ed: The FBI probe you haven't heard about may come back to haunt Bernie Sanders

Reactions: nalaa
Hmm, somehow this does not look like a balancedly written article to me...

The article said:
It's also a potentially mortal blow to Sanders' moral authority on progressive issues if his own wife ends up being targeted by the FBI for acting like one of the rogue Wall Street executives he's railed against for years.

The article said:
In fact, the sad story of Burlington College's collapse should serve as a powerful educational tool to all of us about how "non-profit" institutions can be at least as greedy as any private corporation or hedge fund.

So the article says that we typically consider "rogue Wall Street executives" dangerous is that ... they lie on credit applications? And if colleges increase their tuition fees to build new campus extensions, this makes them "at least as greedy as any hedge fund". I am not sure whether these are valid analogies... :fp:.

Burlington had 204 students, many part time, equating to 130 full time students. Jane Sanders pushed through a land purchase of 33 additional acres, for $10 million. Apart from the fact that 130 students can't support that kind of debt, the underlying issue is that, on the loan application signed by Jane Sanders, the college claimed that it had enough money in committed donations to service the debt. It didn't. If proven, that constitutes fraud.

How effective do you think it will be for Bernie to say, "My wife's fraud is a lot smaller than Wall Street's?"

This proves two key things which, even as a Bernie supporter, I find incredibly important to recognize:
  1. Bernie Sanders is not, and never was, the perfect candidate. None exist in this system, or ever will.
  2. This scandal genuinely bothers me and makes me question Sanders' integrity. The same scandal presented to a Trump supporter as something Trump did would barely get any attention in the face of the ungodly corruption he's responsible for. This speaks volumes about how we as a country treat 'normal politicians' versus this insidious new breed.

Oh, it's an absolute zero compared to what the dt camp is doing to this nation and the world. The same holds true of all the so-called Clinton "scandals."

The only reason I bothered to post the WaPo story was to rebut the notion that a story doesn't have legs if it was brought to the attention of the authorities by your opponents. That's a game that the dt team is constantly playing, and it does nothing for their credibility, nor does it do anything for our credibility when we engage in it.

100% agreed.

And I hate that that's where the bar is at right now. I loathe the way that this will allow the Democratic Party to get away with horrific right-wing **** under the radar for probably years, even after this whole thing seems to be over.

I loathe the way that this will allow the Democratic Party to get away with horrific right-wing **** under the radar for probably years, even after this whole thing seems to be over.
The Democratic Party has been getting away with horrific right-wing **** under the radar long before any of this nonsense.

The Democratic Party has been getting away with horrific right-wing **** under the radar long before any of this nonsense.

Oh don't get me wrong, I agree wholeheartedly. That seems to be their function: make regular right-wing stuff look appealing compared to how over-the-top the far right is. I'm just concerned about how far that's going to go now that this is our standard for the far right.

One thing we have to consider is that Sander's wife is an independent thinking person. Presumably, she is not controlled by Bernie. If she is guilty, she is guilty of her own accord. Unless it can be proven that Bernie knew what she did, and chose to be complicit, then we should avoid guilt by association.

One thing we have to consider is that Sander's wife is an independent thinking person. Presumably, she is not controlled by Bernie. If she is guilty, she is guilty of her own accord. Unless it can be proven that Bernie knew what she did, and chose to be complicit, then we should avoid guilt by association.
That sure worked for Hillary. No one blamed her for Bill's womanizing.

Oh wait.

There were enough other things to blame Hillary for, other than Bill's womanizing...
The point s, Bill's womanizing was used against her, and very effectively. Anything he who thinks the FBI investigation of Jane wouldn't have been (and won't be, if Bernie runs in 2020) used against Bernie is fooling themselves.

The point s, Bill's womanizing was used against her, and very effectively. Anything he who thinks the FBI investigation of Jane wouldn't have been (and won't be, if Bernie runs in 2020) used against Bernie is fooling themselves.

Slightly of topic , I was not a fan of Hillary ( or Trump for that matter ) in the pressie race, but with the muck that she went through with billy boy and to come out the other side and run for the top job, its hard not to respect her pertinacity .