Been sick lately after food poisoning on vacation- what to do???

Newbie vegan who has been on Raw till 4 for 6 months and feeling great until.....

I went on a trip to the Dominican Republic 3 weeks ago and got terrible food poisoning. I was vomiting constantly for 4 days and couldn't eat anything but toast with peanut butter and bananas for 5 days. Ever since I came back, despite returning to Raw till 4, I still feel very sensitive and nauseous whenever I eat a meal, and have not had the energy to exercise for more than a few 20 minute low intensity yoga sessions every few days. What can I do to heal my body, because I feel like I have tried everything?!

**(Also, some days I have a huge appetite, but then feel like I ate too much after a meal, and then other days I barely eat enough)

Hi Bananaslikea_monkey,
Sorry you're feeling so poorly! If diarrhea was involved in your food poisoning, you may want to take a probiotic to help your gut heal. It can get inflamed after that kind of thing. Similarly, your stomach lining can become irritated from vomiting. It takes time to heal, and digestion may be slowed. Sometimes there is too much acidity, sometimes not enough.

And just as an aside, if you are female, is it a possibility that you're pregnant and it was not food poisoning?

Hi Bananaslikea_monkey,
Sorry you're feeling so poorly! If diarrhea was involved in your food poisoning, you may want to take a probiotic to help your gut heal. It can get inflamed after that kind of thing. Similarly, your stomach lining can become irritated from vomiting. It takes time to heal, and digestion may be slowed. Sometimes there is too much acidity, sometimes not enough.

And just as an aside, if you are female, is it a possibility that you're pregnant and it was not food poisoning?

Thank you. I will try the probiotic. I'm positive I'm not pregnant.

When I went to Dominican Republic a few years ago I intentionally avoided drinking the tap water, but neglected to consider that eating raw vegetables rinsed with the same water would have catastrophic effects on my digestive tract. Within a day everything I put into my body was in a mad race to get back out one way or another. That said, it only took a few days of being back home, eating regular food and drinking the water my body was adapted to handle for things to normalize. If you are still having a rough time, it is probably more than just something you ate/drank or your body would have gotten it out by now. I would definitely seek medical attention before things progress further.

Hope it's nothing serious and that you feel better soon. :hug:

Back