Barbarians at the Gate

I wish I had the ability to shut up in real life. I would probably say. "Wow, the pig poop smells just like pork chops. Yum yum yum." People would be mad at me for noticing the similarity. And, I would be the only person in the room laughing.

Forest Nymph you are a pioneer. I always thought that universities should be a place for people to liberate their minds and think freely. If the students truly value free thought, they should entertain your ideas.

Aristotle Quote -
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. "

• Friendly
Reactions: Forest Nymph
Hi FN. Brilliant. Very well done.

Perhaps I might offer a wee bit of advice?

Put absolutely maximum effort into your final paper even possibly to the slight detriment of your other work.

For two reasons I believe that this will may well produce even an A+ and certainly not a B:

1) Despite personal animosities between you, academic excellence is what professional academics seek and the probability is that he will be true to this and recognise it.

2) He is probably shaking in his boots because of the hassle you have caused him and will certainly not relish the idea of any appeal against a lower grade.

Another reason for the advice is you will have a wonderful inner glow from being able to say ”That showed ‘em all.”

Again. Very well done.

Roger.

Thank you but it's not that simple. I don't think he's shaking in his boots, tbh. Im honestly under the impression he's in love/lust/infatuation with one of my peer enemies and is therefore completely irreversibly and irrationally biased against me. Although things with the mediator went well, he still has attempted to cause problems for me. I don't remember the last time I legitimately hated someone so much who wasn't an abusive family member or part of the Trump administration.

I feel now that I have a duty to tell the dean everything and potentially try to get my department chair removed. Though I was happy and did not wish him any particular harm when I last posted here, since then he's attempted a completely inappropriate and outrageous jab at me that made me realize with all of this added up, and this last straw he's trying to pull, someone with more fragile mental health than my own (and mine isn't always great) could be driven to suicide or organizing a school shooting because of professors like this in academia, what they do, and what they enable.

He's a completely vile human being.

• Friendly
Reactions: KLS52
I've found a lot of support inadvertently mostly among people my age or a little younger who have recently been to grad school, including one woman seeking her Master's in English Literature who lost her position as a TA in part to department politics and just a lot of weird stuff going on these days in academia. Things are very different than they were 20-30 years ago and this change is reflected in the ridiculousness on social media surrounding topics like race and gender.

My department chair is the last person to grade my finals but I do have As in my other two classes. I will have to leave this program in May not due to grades but the entire drama suggesting I'm better off elsewhere. I'm considering Anthrozoology but honestly not keen on immediately applying to another program, even if Anthrozoology has more connections to hard sciences and it's a mostly online program (thank God, no incestuous cohort).

I'm considering starting a YouTube channel, writing a book or doing something outside of academia. I am starting a local animal liberation chapter and am super excited about that at least.

• Friendly
Reactions: Qwaychou and KLS52