Animal Rights Animal rights and wildlife conservation

SummerRain

I dreamed that God would be forgiving.
Reaction score
So I was wondering what the peoples views are on whether animals rights and wildlife conservation are compatible, whether they are part of them same thing, or whether their views on animals are too different?

I have no idea what the general feeling is in AR philosophy on this. But how does AR fit in with things like captive breeding programs, wildlife sanctuaries, zoos? Can you save animals species without captive breeding? Is it important to save a species? Even if it doesn't have any impact on the environment and other species?Is it good to reintroduce species, to keep populations of deer/rabbits in control, preventing the need to cull them? (This is a big problem in the UK where we have no preditors of deer left, wildlife conservation groups often support the idea or reintroducing wolves or big cats to control the populations in remote areas). Or what about schemes where people kill grey squirrels to protect the reds?

There are lots of areas where there is a clear overlap between AR objectives and wildlife conersvation objectives, such as the badger cull in the UK which both groups generally oppose. But these other areas get me curious as to what people with an AR philosophy feel about these issues. Mostly because I'm not really sure what I think about some of them personally.

Reactions: ledboots and yally
Not related to rights in my opinion. The things you mentioned are animal welfare attempts and they suck at that.