Animal Advocacy 'Animal Rebellion'-Activist Group Protest

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
A vegan group calling itself ‘Animal Rebellion’ is occupying Smithfield Market in an attempt to ban the sale of meat. An offshoot of Extinction Rebellion, the group is demanding the country adopt a ‘plant-based diet’.
They began their occupation at 5pm today, despite the market being closed and opening between the hours of 2am and 8am. Activists held a moments silence to ‘remember all the animals whose lives are lost at the market daily’.

Update :They have currently been removed from the market by the police.

Twitter: Metro (@MetroUK) on Twitter | Facebook: Security Check Required

• Informative
Reactions: anarchist100
Animal Rebellion are a small and quite new group.

A couple of interesting things recently. A few days ago, one of their members was arrested in UK after speaking in a public place with a speaker system. This is what she said immediately prior to being arrested: "Humans’ desire for meat has seen enormous swathes of the globe deforested to graze animals or grow crops just to feed them, all the while reducing wildlife’s refuge and bring humans into closer proximity to the pathogens that ignite these pandemics."
You can see an article about this here, including the video of her arrest.

Today the group has claimed that they managed to shut down a slaughterhouse and that no animals were slaughtered for one day.

Animal Rebellion is part of Extinction Rebellion, or an offshoot of it.

Reactions: Lou
it is pathetic that the promoters of extinction rebellion muzzle references to the massive even biggest contributor to climate change...animal agriculture...simply to divert attention to anarchist anti capitalise rants

the simplest action individuals can take without needing governments to deal with the anyway runs out in 30 years oil supplies...is stop eating animals.

but oooh no...they evven paraded a herd of cows sayinng "support the farmers" in some demos the hypocrites

so i have not much respect for them

sounds good...good pr...anti governments...anti big business...and blaming everything on the businesses people buy from lol

idiocy

Last edited:
Somewhat unfair.

If they come out very explicitly in favour of veganism, they risk losing support and making it harder to build a broad coalition. Plus, they probably have plenty of non vegan members.

I was at an XR event in March, a conference. They bought in 100% vegan food for everyone. There was not even a meat option. Everyone was given vegan food without even being asked. They also arranged for a vegan caterer even though they couldn´t find one available in the city of the conference, and had to get someone to drive in from an hour away.

Look at what they have clearly said on their facebook page:

September 7th 2020
"Recent scientific studies have estimated that 75% of new and emerging infectious diseases come from animals. There have been numerous reports of Covid-19 outbreaks in meat plants across the UK. Hundreds of workers have tested positive at several abattoirs and processing plants. These industrial factories are hotspots for the outbreak and their continued use is putting workers’ health at risk."
Source: Extinction Rebellion

September 7th 2020
"Animal agriculture currently accounts for 80% of Amazon deforestation, as well as 14.5% of greenhouse gas emissions. A 2018 study into the environmental impacts of food production - the most comprehensive of its kind - found that a plant-based food system could reduce farmland usage by 76% and greenhouse gas emissions by 49% from current global levels."

Also from 2018:
"We know the animal agriculture industry is an abhorrence.
We also know its a huge contributor to climate change.
Phased reduction of the animal agricultural sector must happen if we are to effect change yet its a highly provocative issue."

August 15th:
Join #AnimalRebellion this 1st of September to march from Smithfields to the UK Parliament, where key decisions are made, to ensure that the #AnimalEmergency is not ignored!
Source: (Deleted source to stop it coming up as a video which I don´t want.)

This one, literally from yesterday, is the clearest yet:
Join the
Animal Rebellion
today WEDNESDAY for a
DEFRA Street PARTY
on their last day of Rebellion
🕺
💃
🐔
🐑
🐐
9AM meet at St John's Garden for a 10AM start at DEFRA Marsham Street
➡️

Now, since we're on the topic of #MovementOfMovements and plant based food systems, what's XR's stance on veganism and vegeterianism
⁉️

➡️
It's quite simple in fact: we don't get into personal choices. Should our food system be plant based
⁉️
We leave that — and all specific solutions — to a #CitizensAssembly within a framework of climate and ecological justice to decide. Though if you hang out with XR rebels you'll find that many don't consume animal based or meat products, or have certainly reduced what they do.
⌛
But given the FACTS what cannot be denied is that figuring out ASAP how land is "used" and how we feed ourselves is ESSENTIAL to avert catastrophe.
🍓
🥕
🌽
🥦
Individual choices such as going vegan or veggie are GREAT and every little bit counts, but given the unprecedented scale and speed of change required, personal actions are definitively nowhere near enough. We need radical transformational #SystemsChange, including food system ones.
🍔
A lot less meat on the menu seems an obvious conclusion, as well as drastic changes in INDUSTRIAL animal (and plant) agriculture, that depends on fossil fuels and chemically produced pesticides, insecticides and fertilizers. Factory and intensive animal farming also needs reconsidering (some argue it might even need to go) because certain farming practices are not only ecocidal, toxic, unethical and immoral but they're also downright CRUEL.
Source: (Deleted source to stop it coming up as a video which I don´t want.)

Where I´ve deleted sources, you can find sources by copying and pasting a random string of five or six words of text into google along with this: site:www.facebook.com/extinctionrebellion

Last edited:
I disagree ... hard to find statements not in their main message is useless.

If they are afraid to tell the non vegan members they are wasting their time ranting about governments not spending big bucks to force everyone to only buy non fossil fuel products...they are wimps...the single biggest effect for animals going extinct is animal agriculture...the single biggest effect of climate change is animal agriculture.

To not state this clearly is like saying...oh deary me i am sure spending big money on dealing with an expensive partial cause of a problem is the main thing to bang on about.

An analogy...smoking kills causes lung cancer. but to avoid upsetting all the masses of smokers...tell people to take medication and which heart surgeon is best.

This ER and waffle about big spending about airplanes...when oil runs out anyway in 30 years totally....is peeing in the wind while the planet burns...literally...due to animal agriculture.

ps what a wimpish statement " eat a lot less meat" is...it is rubbish to make such statments...if 2 billion chinese and indians copy now the 1 billion western nations ...and HALF their amount...they would still triple meat production on the planet. Currently....the Chinese eat 3 times less meat than the west.

so...a "lot less meat " is crap...NO meat is the only message as that is the only way to save extinction of animals and climate change.

When Greta Thunberg speaks...not ONCE has she started or talked about going vegan. Muzzled.

Last edited:
Greta Thunberg eats vegan, and has convinced her parents to do the same. Last year when she was in North America she shared a photo of herself at an animal sanctuary with a pig and put "#govegan" at the end of it. Although I don't think she has ever explicitly said that she is vegan, so it's not really known for sure if she is a strict vegan, or just avoids meat or whatever.

I think that you and Greta Thunberg have a lot of common, and people such as you and her do do more good for themselves and the animals by uniting rather than focusing on the differences.

Yes Greta hasn't made meat her main message or talked about it in her speeches, but then neither has she really made petrol cars or planes or anything else much of a focus. Her focus is on science and awareness.

Her issue is climate change. Meat only causes 15%-30% of the climate change depending on how you assess it and who is doing the measuring. Fossil fuels cause maybe 70% or so of the climate change. It isn´t at all clear cut to highlight meat as the main cause of climate change. It is one of the major causes but not so far ahead of other major causes that it should be the only or main focus.

Reactions: shyvas
Greta Thunberg eats vegan, and has convinced her parents to do the same. Last year when she was in North America she shared a photo of herself at an animal sanctuary with a pig and put "#govegan" at the end of it. Although I don't think she has ever explicitly said that she is vegan, so it's not really known for sure if she is a strict vegan, or just avoids meat or whatever.

I think that you and Greta Thunberg have a lot of common, and people such as you and her do do more good for themselves and the animals by uniting rather than focusing on the differences.

Yes Greta hasn't made meat her main message or talked about it in her speeches, but then neither has she really made petrol cars or planes or anything else much of a focus. Her focus is on science and awareness.

Her issue is climate change. Meat only causes 15%-30% of the climate change depending on how you assess it and who is doing the measuring. Fossil fuels cause maybe 70% or so of the climate change. It isn´t at all clear cut to highlight meat as the main cause of climate change. It is one of the major causes but not so far ahead of other major causes that it should be the only or main focus.

actually many scientists say climate change is over 50% due to animal agticulture ...views vary...but...the term "extinction" refering to wild life is all down to animal agriculture ...80 percent is the undeniable percentage of destruction of forests in the amazon and elsewhere all of that down to animal agriculture...to grow soy to fatten farm animals...so if owrried about the extinction of wild life now at only 4 percent of all animals on theis planet...and deforestation and animal agriculture is the 80 percent cause of it...then yes...animal agriculture is destroying wild life and the planet much much more than extrraction of fosil fuels.

If climate change is so urgent...which it is...why not say what is the immediate first step individuals can take to make a massive difference ? to avoid this is showing cowardice and not really caring about climate change.

if urgent....whether 30 percent or 50 percent of the cause of climate change...the easiest way to make the biggest immediate impace is stop eating meat. not said. so stupid. untruthful.

ps here is a reference easy for them to quote...and it is time for them to start quoting refferences not blathering and just ranting "something must be done" without specifics

In the 60s the hippies high on drugs chanted...make love not war...as i said...drugged up and where did that get the world ? more wars. time to stop ranting and talk specifics...and tell people straight what the immediate thing they can do to make the biggest impact...stop eating meat...and dairy...and fish...the fish in the seas are exctinct fgs...why never mentioned when talking EXTINCTION ? cod tuna haddock are all going exrinct...all due to consumption not driving cars lol

250 miles of driving a car has the same climate change effect as eating 1 meat burger.. a simply very clear easy to understand fact scientists have stated...yet the cowards avoid telling .individuals what they can do at once to make a huge effect

According to a new study, a vegan diet is the “single biggest measure” that can be taken to reduce environmental pollution. Researchers at the University of Oxford found that not eating meat and dairy products can reduce a person’s carbon footprint by up to 73%.

Actually if the name EXTINCTION REBELLION means extinction of humans only...what a waste of time that is lol....it is about surely extinction of plants wild life on this planet ...how about 4 percent only of the animals on this planet being wild life ?

i am not interested in waffle rants...i like anyone needs specifics. i have suggested a few ...it is easy to whip up "isnt it aweful " anger with waffle...and that is negative. will end up in just a few token big spends on some wind farms lol like piddling in the wind literally while the planet burns.

Last edited:
I agree with you that for many individuals going vegan is the most important thing a person can do to reduce their carbon footprint.

I think if we talk not specifically about climate change but also about other environmental issues it makes more sense to highlight meat as the no 1 environmental issue. Because meat/animal products are also bad for issues like water, forests, and river pollution in addition to climate change.

However I think you would struggle to find evidence that "many scientists say climate change is over 50% due to animal agriculture". The only estimate that I've ever seen above 50% was Goodland and Jeff Anhang's 51% number from the 2009 World Watch study mentioned in the movie Cowspiracy. They are two vegans with several dubious ways to get to that number. For instance, they assumed that 100% of the land saved by using animal agriculture would be used to grow biofuels, all of which would replace coal, and counted that coal reduction.

That 73% in the Oxford Study you referred to Reducing food’s environmental impacts through producers and consumers | Science is as follows: "For the United States, where per capita meat consumption is three times the global average, dietary change has the potential for a far greater effect on food’s different emissions, reducing them by 61 to 73%." Note that the range of 61-73% refers specifically to the US, and only to a reduction in food emissions, not all emissions. So foodprint not footprint.

However, yes, meat is a big problem for a climate change, but not so big we can ignore fossil fuels. I think animal agriculture and fossil fuels are the two big environmental issues and we can be strongly against both.

PS - It's never been clear to me either whether the Extinction in the name Extinction Rebellion refers to human or animal extinction.

Reactions: Vegan Dogs
There are 2 high level reports showing animal agriculture to be more or equally as important to climate change as fossil fuels...the oldest one i know being the United Nations report called "The Long Shadow"

Meet the world's top destroyer of the environment. Livestock are responsible for 18 per cent of the greenhouse gases that cause global warming, more than cars, planes and all other forms of transport put together. ...10 déc. 2006 reported in the UK Media...

Direct link to the report statement here

Atmosphere and climate With rising temperatures, rising sea levels, melting icecaps and glaciers, shifting ocean currents and weather patterns, climate change is the most serious challenge facing the human race. The livestock sector is a major player, responsible for 18 percent of greenhouse gas emissions measured in CO2 equivalent. This is a higher share than transport. The livestock sector accounts for 9 percent of anthropogenic CO2 emissions.

The other report is this one...

However recently, Worldwatch Institute, a Washington D.C. environmental think-tank, reported that livestock emissions actually account for 51% of greenhouse gases.
Worldwatch Institute found that the FAO underestimate and overlooked some direct and indirect livestock emissions including CO2 emissions from livestock respiration, methane emissions, and emissions from clearing land to graze livestock and grow feed."

Due to different measures used of different factors it is easy to find this confusing....but...here is another one...

Which is actually worse—cows or cars? Livestock emissions make up anywhere between 14.5 and 18 percent of total global greenhouse gas emissions. ... Perhaps more looming, however, is that while transportation creates CO2, livestock farming is hugely responsible for producing methane.13 juil. 2016

Livestock emissions make up anywhere between 14.5 and 18 percent of total global greenhouse gas emissions. Comparably, the transportation sector is responsible for around 14 percent of emissions. By those numbers alone, our current system of meat production is extremely damaging. Perhaps more looming, however, is that while transportation creates CO2, livestock farming is hugely responsible for producing methane. As you may know, methane is 23 times more potent when it comes to warming the planet.

This is useful picture...

1600221027656.png

Last edited:
Hi Vegan Dogs, saw something in the Guardian just now that you might like

It's nice to see that Greenpeace would come out and say something like that. In the past, they tended to stay rather quiet on meat's impact.
cheers and yes the elephant in the room is animal agriculture...too cowardly to state the truth to save the planet is shameful of wwf and greenpeace

Update on Animal Rebellion:

A few weeks ago, they blockaded McDonalds distribution centres and I believe succeeded in reducing some distribution, meaning some McDonalds restaurants were not able to provide all the options for some period of time.

The way they do this is create these stilt-like structures (see picture at top of Guardian article which is the last of the links below) and have someone on top of them. You do this by turning up in the middle of the night and blocking the road for the remainder of the next day. These are quite difficult for the police to move and cut down without risking serious injury or worse to the person on the top and therefore allow distribution to be blocked for a day or so.

I assume this tactic was inspired by a very similar approach taken by XR to blockade the press.

In the last few days, they have done sit in at restaurants.

This may be the beginnings of a larger movement that eventually cause factory farms to be shut down in the years or decades ahead. Or if may go nowhere.

I do have a question about whether it is too early for this sort of thing.

Animal Rebellion - Wikipedia

Animal Rebellion

UK animal rights group blockades four McDonald’s depots