Android or iOS

iOS or android?

• Total voters

Damo

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm due for a new phone though I can't decide between a Google Pixel or iPhone, what do you use and why do you use it? 🤔

I have only ever used Androids. Partly because Androids are based on open-source software (the Linux kernel) and I feel more comfortable supporting a product based on this than closed-source. And partly it's because I prefer Google as a company over Apple. Apple gave us over-priced and over-hyped products. Google gave us things like more affordable Chromebooks, Google Search, GMail, and they have created lots of interesting open-source software as well.

I have no idea about the technical specifications of the two models you mention. I'm years behind anyway!

Good points, I do use a lot of Google services.

The only thing that puts me off the Pixel or Android phones is the update support, I know Apple support their phones for longer than Google supports a version of Android.

But then I don't want to get sucked into Apple's products 🤔

I have used a number of phones in my lifetime, starting with venerable Nokia mobile phones, then trying out Windows phones and Blackberries and finally arriving at IOS.

What do I like about the iPhone? It's quite simple, and it works. If you are a "tuning freak" and want to inch the last bit of performance out of your phone by installing helpful add-ons, then it is not for you. That's where Android devices shine, but then, I owned a Kindle Fire (amazon device) and another Android tablet and found they were far from easy to set up and have lots of technical issues, cross compatibility between different apps and devices and so on.

Downside, Apple phones are typically more expensive, i.e. you can only buy them from Apple, while there are lots of other manufacturers (e.g. from China) making capable and affordable Android phones.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou