News America's largest milk producer files for bankruptcy

You are correct @Forest Nymph

Cheese is probably one of the toughest item for people to give up initially, for me eating pasta was just an excuse to pour on the parmesan, and now I don't even miss it as I just use nutritional yeast and don't even bother making the fake parm with cashews and spices that I did originally. Dr Barnard (be still my heart) has a book that addresses this called The Cheese Trap. Well worth reading.

Emma JC

I looked it up and it does sound like an interesting book to read.:)

In some cultures eating cheese is part of the meal and it is very hard to give up.:worried:

I'm not trying to be mean about this, but it's not helpful for anyone to falsely believe we've "won" with soy milk when people are eating so much cheese and butter.

No one said "we've won" - I believe I started it off by saying "this is great news for cows" - maybe I should have qualified that by saying "this is great news for some cows but not all cows" but that was implied. We are all well aware that the world is not going to be completely vegan anytime soon and yet it is wonderful to celebrate even tiny steps along the way and recently there have been a lot of tiny steps to celebrate.

I will continue to cheer every headline that shows even one less animal being hurt or tortured or killed.

Emma JC

and another headline of interest in this category - you can read it all by clicking on the article, they do address dairy.

Emma JC

The end of yogurt? Sales sour in U.S. as breakfast tastes change
Dee-Ann Durbin, The Associated Press
Published Monday, November 18, 2019 11:31AM EST

What's eating yogurt?
Despite shelves full of new varieties -- from Icelandic to Australian to coconut-based -- U.S. yogurt sales are in a multiyear slump. Yogurt companies are confident that more new products can boost sales. But some analysts are skeptical, saying larger trends -- like growing sales of protein bars -- will be hard to turn around.
"Consumers are just not eating as much yogurt as they once did," said Caleb Bryant, associate director of food and drink reports for Mintel, a market research company....

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
⬆︎ Interesting. I really thought yogurt had remained popular. It makes sense that if people are eschewing diary that there would be a yogurt backlash as well.

I've actually gone back to eating some yogurt once or twice a week now that the stores are carrying more varieties of non-dairy yogurts. Maybe non-dairy yogurt sales are up?

Back in the day, I almost never bought "spoon-able" yogurt. If I had the time to sit down and eat - there were better choices. but I did like the drinkable yogurts that I could drink on the way to work. Especially Keifer with more different probiotics.

Haven't seen any non-dairy versions of those, tho.

• Informative
  • Friendly
Reactions: shyvas and Emma JC
No one said "we've won" - I believe I started it off by saying "this is great news for cows" - maybe I should have qualified that by saying "this is great news for some cows but not all cows" but that was implied. We are all well aware that the world is not going to be completely vegan anytime soon and yet it is wonderful to celebrate even tiny steps along the way and recently there have been a lot of tiny steps to celebrate.

I will continue to cheer every headline that shows even one less animal being hurt or tortured or killed.

Emma JC

But are they? That is my entire point. Wal Mart has this sinister way of monopolizing production of everything in their stores. That's one of the ways they drive other people out of business. So instead of this huge dairy company, there will still be smaller companies, including Wal Mart's factory farms (and you know Wal Mart will have a factory farm, they have child slaves in Asia making some of their clothes).

The amount of milk required to make cheese is so much more than to make milk for drinking that milk going down by 7 gallons per person per year, but cheese going up 8 pounds per person per year means that this math problem = no cows actually helped. No less cows are actually being harmed by cheese and butter going up while liquid milk goes down.

The only possible benefit I see in this is by breaking up this big huge dairy company, there will possibly be more small business, and less horrific factory farms.

A little off-topic, and I don't remember where I read or heard this.

Milk producers and government agencies, and Universities are scrambling to find new uses for dairy to offset the decline of demand.

this is reminiscent of what happened with corn. I think it was the Iowa State University that created a research program to find new uses of corn. I think it was ISU that first developed HFCS and Ethanol. We turn corn into so many products. Corn starch, corn meal and probably a lot of stuff I haven't heard of. I'll have to try to look this up.

There are a lot of products made from dairy but I wouldn't be surprised if they can invent some more.

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
⬆︎ Interesting. I really thought yogurt had remained popular. It makes sense that if people are eschewing diary that there would be a yogurt backlash as well.

I've actually gone back to eating some yogurt once or twice a week now that the stores are carrying more varieties of non-dairy yogurts. Maybe non-dairy yogurt sales are up?

Back in the day, I almost never bought "spoon-able" yogurt. If I had the time to sit down and eat - there were better choices. but I did like the drinkable yogurts that I could drink on the way to work. Especially Keifer with more different probiotics.

Haven't seen any non-dairy versions of those, tho.

Over here in Europe non dairy yogurt sales are up. :) Alpro seems to be by far the leader and they have some innovative products such as coconut, oat, soya and various no added sugar fruit yogurts. They are also far cheaper compared to the US counterparts which are so very expensive.

I tried Daiya yogurt with was virtually the same price (one tiny carton) as the large cartons that Alpro sells. Moreover, I found that the Daiya product doesn't taste anything like yogurt and wasn't tasty. I also tries So Delicious and it was far creamier and did taste a bit more like yogurt. On the whole, I wasn't impressed. :rolleyes:

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15