Am i considered vegetarian or plant based?

MobiusX

Forum Novice
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
I don't eat meat or fish. I stopped years ago. I only eat vegan but I take medications that contain animal product and I tried to get vegan medications but the doctor got mad and said to just stick with the medicine he gave me. He gave me others in the past but they weren't vegan and I asked another doctor and he said he doesn't know any medication that is vegan for this. I take another medication also and contains animal product in them. Other than that I eat only vegan. I don't buy vegan products only because they are very limited and not many of them with positive reviews plus they are too expensive. So I consider myself plant based from now until they improve the vegan products that are sold when it comes to price and quantity and quality.

Reactions: Tomas
It really doesn’t matter what anyone calls you. What matters is that you’re doing your own personal best to make the world a better place for animals, for yourself, and for other people.

I really think that the focus on labels hurts the cause of veganism. No animals are saved when someone decides they’re vegetarian and not vegan because they’re not perfect. On the contrary, calling oneself vegan has the effect of making one more conscientiously vegan over time. So I think we need to stop guarding the word “vegan “ so jealously.

People are not words and definitions. We are humans doing our best to live to the best of our abilities. We're all planet based. :cool:

Reactions: betiPT
In the end we are all still restricted by a society where eating and using animal products is the general conscensus and where there's so much "animal waste" that they use it in basically everything. Being full vegan is next to impossible but doing the effort to make a change in the world is what is important and you are doing your part. It is what you do that is important, not the title you give it and you sir, do a lot !

Reactions: betiPT and Lou
If you take medication your doctor insists that you need for your health, you're vegan.

Plant based is a politically correct term used by academics and dietitians to describe the diets of vegans, vegetarians and in some cases flexitarians. 100% plant based typically denotes the diets of vegans, even if they have to take medication that was once tested on animals or that contains an egg component.

Vegan is an ethical term not a description of a specific diets, other than it being free of agricultural animal products, because some people eat honey, and others don't and some are WFPB and most are not, then you have your raw and your junk food, and someone saying a vegan diet made them sick or well is saying something nonsensical because a vegan diet can range from nothing but smoothies and big salads, to nothing but Gardein products and French fries, to the more balanced diet most vegans probably have.

I wouldn't call you a vegetarian unless you made a conscious decision to incorporate eggs or dairy back into your diet long term for stated reasons.