Alternatives to butter?

Torialou

Newcomer
Reaction score
I do not know about the rest of you but I always used to adore my butter, while I do use spreads I am yet to find a vegan version that is as creamy and delicious as the real thing :mad:

We are using Vitalite spread at the moment, however I find it really bland. Before that we were using a Soya spread for a long time, that tasted better but it did not melt into jacket potatoes or my toast as I like it too.

Have any of you found a buttery vegan spread alternative that melts nicely?

Now, I'm not sure if it's VEGAN! But the one in my fridge I'm quite sure has the vegetarian stamp (perhaps it is Vegan? As there is no Vegan stamp, here at least.) But I find Canola Oil Spread pretty good. :)

I have olive oil butter I bought from healthy options. I find that it definitely fits my taste! I don't know about other people tho... sometimes, my friends wonder how I'm able to eat some of my vegan "recipes". Anyway you should give it a try. Sorry I forgot the brand! I'll post it when I get the chance.

I use soya spread, usually the generic brand from the supermarket. As I am vegetarian there are vegetarian approved butters available, so even though I do choose the vegan spread, I will indulge in some vegetarian butter.

In cooking it's a lot harder so I tend to use vegetable oil rather than butter when I am baking a cake. Fat content is important when baking, so you need the right balance.

We use Earth Balance. It has a soy free option that is still vegan and also, baking sticks of vegan butter. As a new vegan the taste doesn't bother me in any way. I also find that it melts in my baked potatoes very well. Sorry, I haven't tried it on toast yet, as I am gluten-free and can't locate a bread that is also vegan and doesn't taste really bad. I live in a very small town and we have to drive 45 minutes to the closest store that we can purchase vegan items. This means, I either learn to like what is available or decide to drive three hours to the nearest whole foods which, as much as I like the store, I don't look forward to doing on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. I haven't seen soya brand or vitalite where I am.

I did try this once and put olive oil in a container and put it in the fridge and used it as butter instead. It does work, but works out to be expensive, but is an idea if you are baking or need it in a solid format.

Thank you everyone for their responses, I will not quote everyone or it will make a long post but I have taken the names down and will have a look at our local grocery store see if I can find any of them.

I did think about an olive oil spread but decided that it would most likely not be very buttery, it really is that creamy butter taste that I miss most.

I have never heard about putting olive oil in the fridge to make a solid to bake with, although I do not really bake with anything other than spreads but an interesting alternative if we ever run out. Thank you for sharing that :)

Thanks for asking this question because this is my search as well, and I can look into these suggestions. I just want to make sure the process is not the same as butter, because then, the hydranation will still yield trans fats or hard to assimilate matter. Am I correct on this?

Have you tried making your own? I have and there was one that was close to what I was hoping for in taste.
http://www.veganbaking.net/recipes/fats/vegan-butters/cultured-european-style-vegan-butter
You have to scroll down and get through the literature first, but the recipe is quite easy, though not really cheap in the long run, but it is nice to make it once or twice.

I also have another cookbook that is mean to be really good. The non-dairy evolution cookbook by Skye Michael Conroy and I have to say he has 2 recipes for non-dairy butter that both look very interesting and once I have my kitchen back, I would like to try them (I am in the process of having it decorated, if the decorator actually turns up. sadly I have no control over this because I am a tenant...) I certainly have all of the ingredients for it.

I tried olive oil butter once and it works great. It's kinda weird at first if you are used to the usual butter made from milk, but in the long run, it will work quite well.

Why not use honey in your bread? I find it more healthy to use honey as my butter when eating a bread. It has healthy benefits for you and it is not fattening. Try honey as an alternative for your butter and I am sure that it will be just as good as those chocolate butters or anything fancy that they sell in stores. Make a healthy choice!

Why not use honey in your bread? I find it more healthy to use honey as my butter when eating a bread. It has healthy benefits for you and it is not fattening. Try honey as an alternative for your butter and I am sure that it will be just as good as those chocolate butters or anything fancy that they sell in stores. Make a healthy choice!
Honey is not considered to be vegan only vegetarian which would be the main reason for not using it and whilst it does melt nicely (one of the OPs requirements) it is not really a particularly good substitute for butter in situations such as a jacket potato.

I wonder why no one mentioned "I can't believe it's not butter" as a substitute? I think its a great substitute to the real thing

I wonder why no one mentioned "I can't believe it's not butter" as a substitute? I think its a great substitute to the real thing
It always used to contain milk products which could be the reason (it had buttermilk in it). Anything with milk products in it is not vegan (as opposed to vegetarian) which is what the OP was requesting, but I see that the 'Original' version is now dairy free though I would query the vegan status of it currently (having just checked the ingredients list) however, the 'light' version still contains dairy products, as does the 'Olive Oil' version. The 'Deliciously Simple Spread' seems to be dairy free, but I'm not certain on the vegan status of it either. The 'Original Spray' still contains buttermilk, as does the 'Olive Oil Spray' for some reason, and the 'All Purpose Sticks' contains whey from a milk source.

Going by the reviews and their homepage, I would guess the recipe change happened about 6-7 months ago.
http://content.icantbelieveitsnotbutter.com/commitment/

100% Taste. 0% Artificial Preservatives.
When it comes to our buttery spreads, it’s important that what we take out is just as important as what we put back in and that our fresh butter taste is still unbelievably delicious. That’s why our new I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter!® Spreads are rooted in the goodness of plant-based oils. Our new simple recipe is made from real, simple ingredients you can recognize like a delicious blend of oils, purified water and a pinch of salt with no artificial flavors, no artificial preservatives and 0 grams trans fat per serving.1 Just one bite and you will believe!
My bold.

Earth balance is my alternative butter of choice! I try not to overdo it because it still isn't the healthiest of foods, but it can be great if I'm craving a buttery piece of toast or a bagel!

I think Earth Balance is definitely the best vegan butter substitute. Smart Balance Light is vegan is lower in calories and fat, but the taste just isn't as good. Personally, I think Earth Balance tastes almost exactly like butter. It works great for baking, as well. You can get it in sticks or in tub form.

Butter alternatives? I try to go at it really natural in my kitchen so I just use olive oil but for butter-like texture I use honey and the appropriate amount of salt, pepper and other condiments.

Have you tried making your own? I have and there was one that was close to what I was hoping for in taste.
http://www.veganbaking.net/recipes/fats/vegan-butters/cultured-european-style-vegan-butter
You have to scroll down and get through the literature first, but the recipe is quite easy, though not really cheap in the long run, but it is nice to make it once or twice.

I also have another cookbook that is mean to be really good. The non-dairy evolution cookbook by Skye Michael Conroy and I have to say he has 2 recipes for non-dairy butter that both look very interesting and once I have my kitchen back, I would like to try them (I am in the process of having it decorated, if the decorator actually turns up. sadly I have no control over this because I am a tenant...) I certainly have all of the ingredients for it.
I saw that article as well. That was a very interesting (and long) read, but it was worth it. Im going to try their recipe soon. I miss putting something on my popcorn! :D

Vitalite is what I use, and its a perfect substitute for use in baking and spreading on toast :D

Reactions: Blueberry
[GALLERY=media, 8]408545b by WOODRAT posted Aug 26, 2015 at 11:21 PM[/GALLERY]

This is what I use. It does the job but I think the reality is that some good flavours get left behind when you go vegan, at least until someone invents something to match it. You can always add something else to mask the blandness or odd taste.