Alcohol

Haruki

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi all

I am a bit of a newbie to this. I stopped eating meat (went pesco) 12 months ago, dropped fish around 3 months ago and then have taken the full plunge to a plant based diet since Christmas. Enjoying it and feeling good so far.
I think my meals are pretty good so far but i haven't looked into Alcohol contents yet (finding there is alot of research etc to do just on meals for now!!) Does anyone have any advice on what alcohol is ok and what to avoid?

Thanks in advance

Not one that drinks often, but as far as I'm aware most Alcohol should be animal free.

Did you have a specific kind in mind?

Not sure really but i had in my mind for some reason that beer wouldn't always be vegan safe?

@Haruki I have worked in the beer industry, and you're right. A lot of beer and wine is not vegan. There are animal products used in the filtration process (what the filters themselves are made of) and often as preservatives. Most craft beers (small local brands) are generally vegan as they don't have large filtration processes and don't worry about consistency and shelf life. Most wines however are not vegan. Big brands like Barefoot, etc. use gelatin. It's unfortunate, isn't it! You definitely have to look for wine that's labeled vegan and always Google your beer before you order.

If you must drink alcohol, I'd suggest sticking with wine that is made from organic grapes. Or real beer made with nothing but barley, hops, yeast and water, nothing else. That is the traditional recipe, and many breweries offer organic craft beers.

Distilled spirits like vodka, gin, rum, etc., are not good for your body at all, so avoid them.

Remember, alcohol technically acts like a poison on the body, and the drunk feeling you get from it is your brain being deprived of oxygen, same as if you were drowning.