Affordability ?

would you say that when you first became vegan you intentionally planned your meals?

not at first. I did try two different (at two different times) using someone else's meals plans. the first was a 30 day vegan challenge and the second was PCRM's Kickstart. But about two years ago, because of Covid and my desire to limit my time in grocery stores I started planning my meals and making my grocery list from it. Then ordering groceries and doing curb side pick up. Now I'm sort of used to meal planning. And I think I waste less food, too
Can you describe tour beginning phase of when you transitioned to become a vegan, please?

My "story" is not very helpful. I started my transition very gradually and very piecemeal.

My advice to others is do "just do it" in three or four weeks. IMHO its actually an easier transition if you just do it. There is even some medical support for my opinion because of gut biome changes.

That being said there really is no "right" way. Some people choose to jump right in and others like to wade in.
For starters what impulsed you to adopt this lifestyle choice and what were your results when you first started to be a vegan?

I like telling this story but I've already posted it here ..... somewhere.
ah. I saved a rough draft of the story.

Here it is

------
So … I’m pretty sure it was in 1999 or maybe 2000. PETA was suing the California Dairy Board over their happy cow commercials

I’ll post one below. PETA was claiming false advertising. I was house sitting my sister’s house. So I must have been on vacation myself. And she gets the paper delivered so I quickly got into the habit of eating breakfast and reading the paper. ( I did and do live in an apartment and can’t get the paper delivered to my front porch each morning.)

On the front page, just below the fold is an article about the law suit. And the author took issue with it. Most of his issue was that these are pretty good ads, entertainment wise, and PETA should grow a sense of humor. I completely agreed with the author.

The next day, in exactly the same spot, the author printed a retraction, an apology and a much longer news article.

It started off with after publication he got a call from PETA. They asked him if they could explain their viewpoint, maybe over lunch (on them). So of course the reporter agrees to it. First off Peta explains that his article was based on his opinion (that the ads were funny), therefore an editorial, and therefore should not be on the first page. The author recognizes and accepts this. PETa then goes on to say that there is a dairy farm just an hour away and they could go visit it. They’ll drive. So they all get into the car and drive over to a dairy farm.

PETA then explains that there is a law or maybe a restraining order, so they can’t approach the dairy farm but they can park at the edge of it and the reporter can get a good look at it from along side the road. The reporter gets out of the car, goes for a walk. The PETA people have already prepped the reporter on what to look for, feces up to the cow’s ankles, swollen and infected udders, and basically the sheer misery these cows are living in. But the reporter is not prepared for the stink. And promptly loses his lunch.

The reporter then writes the retraction, the apology. And then another article about the dairy farm and the diary industry (facts and figures supplied by PETA. ) At the end there is either an address or a phone number for PETA’s local office. I called or wrote and got a free PETA vegan starter kit.

Now this was twenty years ago and I no longer have this article. I’m sure my imagination has filled in some gaps. Plus I have told this story enough times that I’m sure it has evolved in the re-telling. But I bet I have most of the facts straight.

Happy cow commercials.

not at first. I did try two different (at two different times) using someone else's meals plans. the first was a 30 day vegan challenge and the second was PCRM's Kickstart. But about two years ago, because of Covid and my desire to limit my time in grocery stores I started planning my meals and making my grocery list from it. Then ordering groceries and doing curb side pick up. Now I'm sort of used to meal planning. And I think I waste less food, too

My "story" is not very helpful. I started my transition very gradually and very piecemeal.

My advice to others is do "just do it" in three or four weeks. IMHO its actually an easier transition if you just do it. There is even some medical support for my opinion because of gut biome changes.

That being said there really is no "right" way. Some people choose to jump right in and others like to wade in.

I like telling this story but I've already posted it here ..... somewhere.
ah. I saved a rough draft of the story.

Here it is

------
So … I’m pretty sure it was in 1999 or maybe 2000. PETA was suing the California Dairy Board over their happy cow commercials

I’ll post one below. PETA was claiming false advertising. I was house sitting my sister’s house. So I must have been on vacation myself. And she gets the paper delivered so I quickly got into the habit of eating breakfast and reading the paper. ( I did and do live in an apartment and can’t get the paper delivered to my front porch each morning.)

On the front page, just below the fold is an article about the law suit. And the author took issue with it. Most of his issue was that these are pretty good ads, entertainment wise, and PETA should grow a sense of humor. I completely agreed with the author.

The next day, in exactly the same spot, the author printed a retraction, an apology and a much longer news article.

It started off with after publication he got a call from PETA. They asked him if they could explain their viewpoint, maybe over lunch (on them). So of course the reporter agrees to it. First off Peta explains that his article was based on his opinion (that the ads were funny), therefore an editorial, and therefore should not be on the first page. The author recognizes and accepts this. PETa then goes on to say that there is a dairy farm just an hour away and they could go visit it. They’ll drive. So they all get into the car and drive over to a dairy farm.

PETA then explains that there is a law or maybe a restraining order, so they can’t approach the dairy farm but they can park at the edge of it and the reporter can get a good look at it from along side the road. The reporter gets out of the car, goes for a walk. The PETA people have already prepped the reporter on what to look for, feces up to the cow’s ankles, swollen and infected udders, and basically the sheer misery these cows are living in. But the reporter is not prepared for the stink. And promptly loses his lunch.

The reporter then writes the retraction, the apology. And then another article about the dairy farm and the diary industry (facts and figures supplied by PETA. ) At the end there is either an address or a phone number for PETA’s local office. I called or wrote and got a free PETA vegan starter kit.

Now this was twenty years ago and I no longer have this article. I’m sure my imagination has filled in some gaps. Plus I have told this story enough times that I’m sure it has evolved in the re-telling. But I bet I have most of the facts straight.

Happy cow commercials.

That sounds intense... I would have probably been impacted by that the same way.. I'M GLAD YOU SAVED YOUR STORY, & Thanks for being transparent with me...
I'm also glad that your meal planning helps you to disparage less, wasting food is another category by itself that more people must be conscious about doing least.
Have you noticed health benefits ever since you stopped eating animal products?

Have you noticed health benefits ever since you stopped eating animal products?
no. my transition period was close to 10 years. I've done some periods of WFPB, but its not a priority with me.

But maybe I would be less healthy if I hadn't gone vegan.