US Advice how to restart again

peacefulveglady

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
What is you’re advice how I can restart this journey again? I had many reations to the transitional vegan frozen meals and almond and oat milk. Should i try soy milk again?
I am thinking making veganburgers and stuff from scratch. What should be avoided to lose my weight? I have target, jewel osco near me, walmart and aldi and woodmans and meijer near us. I do sometimes go to trader joes both are 30 mins away from me.

What is you’re advice how I can restart this journey again? I had many reations to the transitional vegan frozen meals and almond and oat milk. Should i try soy milk again?
I am thinking making veganburgers and stuff from scratch. What should be avoided to lose my weight? I have target, jewel osco near me, walmart and aldi and woodmans and meijer near us. I do sometimes go to trader joes both are 30 mins away from me.
stomach trouble with non dairy milk? Many have the algae derivative carageenan many add for creaminess. Causes issues for some people. For some reason the shelf stable milks are more likely to be free of it--I really like the shelf stable soy milk from Trader joes, it's just beans and water, and you can stock up. It's like $2 a quart

I've been eating really junky the last month. If I focus on good breakfasts and lunches I feel so much better.
Soups are the best -- cheap, easy, filling and easy to be whole foods no oil

stomach trouble with non dairy milk? Many have the algae derivative carageenan many add for creaminess. Causes issues for some people. For some reason the shelf stable milks are more likely to be free of it--I really like the shelf stable soy milk from Trader joes, it's just beans and water, and you can stock up. It's like $2 a quart
I had to go check my milk after reading that. The ingredients list said E418 so I checked it and it is "Gellan Gum" and it seems to be safe thankfully.

Is gellan gum safe to eat?

Yes, it almost has no side effects and the safety has been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and European Food Safety Authority (EFSA), as well as the Joint FAO/WHO Expert Committee on Food Additives (JECFA).

What is High & Low Acyl Gellan Gum (E418) in food? Uses and Safety

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52

I've been eating really junky the last month. If I focus on good breakfasts and lunches I feel so much better.
Soups are the best -- cheap, easy, filling and easy to be whole foods no oil
Yes I guess i have a picky stomach. I might have to go head to trader joes next week and get a few items to try.

my suggestion would be to keep it simple - find a few whole food meals that you really like and then just choose between them - lots of potatoes!! frozen veggies (in soup is a great suggestion), and if you need milk you can make it from a banana/water, very tasty simple and takes about 30 seconds, especially good on cereal - what are your favourite foods?

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

my suggestion would be to keep it simple - find a few whole food meals that you really like and then just choose between them - lots of potatoes!! frozen veggies (in soup is a great suggestion), and if you need milk you can make it from a banana/water, very tasty simple and takes about 30 seconds, especially good on cereal - what are your favourite foods?

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com
I usually get almond milk or oatmilk

What kind of foods do you enjoy? Maybe we can suggest ways to veganize them

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
Tacos and Italian foods and sandwhiches. My mom got years ago from deli pinewheel wraps like sandwhiches trying to find way to do that.
Walmart carries a variety of plant-based meats: Frozen Plant-Based & Meat Alternatives in Frozen Meat, Seafood, & Vegetarian - Walmart.com . The plant-based ground "beef" might be good for tacos.

Which types of Italian foods do you like?

Trader Joe's carries plant-based sausage and ground "turkey": Category

The Field Roast Company makes vegan deli meats and "Chao" brand vegan cheese: Our Plant-Based Meat and Cheese Products | Field Roast - This website shows where they are sold: Store Locator & Where to Buy | Field Roast

I don't think that these foods are helpful for weight loss, however.

Related anecdote: I once visited a vegan couple that I know, and their everyday foods were sandwiches made with vegan deli meats and cheeses. They were absolutely delicious, but I admit that I was surprised; as an "old school vegan", my cupboards and fridge have always been full of beans, grains, fruits, and vegetables.

Last edited:
Tacos and Italian foods and sandwhiches. My mom got years ago from deli pinewheel wraps like sandwhiches trying to find way to do that.
I know you're trying to stick to whole foods(?) but trader Joes soy chorizo is my favorite for tacos. Has a texture different from other meats--not like tvp crumbles, but flakes, and a taco type taste (but not cuminy)
Their corn tortillas are really good. I make enchiladas with a mix of mashed pintos or refried beans, salsa, rice and soy chorizo and spread on the tortillas and top with shredded vegan cheese -Tjs vegan cheddar is good for this. Roll up and fill a casserole. I make sauce by blending crushed tomatoes with jalepano and pour over and bake.

I know you're trying to stick to whole foods(?) but trader Joes soy chorizo is my favorite for tacos. Has a texture different from other meats--not like tvp crumbles, but flakes, and a taco type taste (but not cuminy)
Their corn tortillas are really good. I make enchiladas with a mix of mashed pintos or refried beans, salsa, rice and soy chorizo and spread on the tortillas and top with shredded vegan cheese -Tjs vegan cheddar is good for this. Roll up and fill a casserole. I make sauce by blending crushed tomatoes with jalepano and pour over and bake.
We will go visit trader joe’s soon thanks for tips.

One thing that i left out we have a pantry that gives us donated impossbile chicken and stuff how long do they last? I had to toss out alot because i waited to long to use it.

One of the techniques I like to recommend is very gradual and incremental. So its easy in a lot of ways.

It does require meal planning and some recording, which turns some people off.

Real quick, but it you need details just ask. I don't want to go into a real lengthy description only to find you'e not interested.

First week you just keep a food log of all the foods you eat. Don't even try to be vegan that week. just eat the foods you enjoy.

Second week look at your food log and circle the meals that are vegan or mostly vegan. Start your first weeks meal plan with all those meals.

Third week look at your food log and your second week's meal plan. Circle the meals that could be vegan by just a little elimination or substitution. Using plant milk instead of cows milk. or soy crumbles instead of ground beef. spaghetti sauce without any meat.

Fourth week more of the same but now you are challenged to make some vegan meals. This might be a tofu stir fry, or a vegan pizza, or some corn chowder soup.

Maybe you can share your reason(s) for going vegan too?
Just like there are many different non-vegan diets, there are many different vegan diets too. Gluten-free vegan would not include seitan, health and weight loss would want to minimize store-bought saucy frozen vegan meals, trying out different beans and legumes and tofu preparations, etc.

Reactions: David3 and Emma JC
Maybe you can share your reason(s) for going vegan too?
Just like there are many different non-vegan diets, there are many different vegan diets too. Gluten-free vegan would not include seitan, health and weight loss would want to minimize store-bought saucy frozen vegan meals, trying out different beans and legumes and tofu preparations, etc.
Share here? Health and for animals and environment. Plus I hated cooking with eggs.