A vegan adventure through Prague, Vienna and Cesky Krumlov

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I just came across this piece on CNN's web pages:
(CNN) -- I've always wanted to go to Prague, having often heard that it was a magical place of extraordinary architecture and history (especially since it mostly escaped bombing during World War II). Finally, in the week leading up to Labor Day, with visions of castles dancing in our heads, my girlfriend Donna Dennison and I flew in to begin our central European adventure.

We had only one fear: We're vegans. Would we find anything to eat that contained absolutely no animal products, or would we be reduced to subsisting on doughy rolls and plain salads?

I'm happy to report that Prague not only surpassed my imagination with its stunning vistas, medieval bridges and palatial grandeur, it turns out to be chock full of fabulous vegan and vegetarian restaurants. In fact, Central Europe in general is a hotbed of vegetarianism. Who knew?
Full story: Vegan on the road: Central Europe - CNN.com

Cool. I have been to Prague, and Cesky Krumlov, but not Vienna.

Wow!

I have been to Prague some years ago, and found it to be the least vegan friendly place by far of all I had visited before.

I considered myself really lucky to get spaghetti with tomato sauce in Italian restaurants there, or any other vegan food apart from "Green salad, hold the dressings".

The only bright side was Maitrea, a vegetarian restaurant I found through Happycow, that was awesome. Without HC, I would likely have starved there (ok, not REALLY a big risk, considering my body reserves, but still).

Vienna, on the other hand, is totally awesome when it comes to vegan or vegetarian restaurants.

Best regards,
Andy

P.S. Ok, full disclosure ... As I have been born in Vienna and lived there for 25 years, I of course know more about the restaurant scene there. Still...

I was an omni in those days. So I didnt have those considerations. I was there in 2003.

I went to Prague in November and it was so easy to eat. I just used Happy Cow to find vegan friendly places. Loveg was soooo nice. There were a few vegan resteraunts, and a lot of non-vegan resteraunts still had vegan things labelled.

Reactions: Freesia