Health Issues 7 Facts about Colds & Flu

*coughs and sneezes* Your point being?

Seriously, though, thanks. I wash my hands a lot. Problem is, when you wash your hands a lot, the skin dries out, so you end up using more hand lotion during the cold/flu/autumn/winter season.

*coughs and sneezes* Your point being?

Seriously, though, thanks. I wash my hands a lot. Problem is, when you wash your hands a lot, the skin dries out, so you end up using more hand lotion during the cold/flu/autumn/winter season.
True, the skin does get drier, but honestly you will very rarely catch a virus if you are a diligent hand washer and keep your hands off your face. To help prevent the dry skin, use a mid soap and make sure your hands are thoroughly dried off after washing.

True, the skin does get drier, but honestly you will very rarely catch a virus if you are a diligent hand washer and keep your hands off your face. To help prevent the dry skin, use a mid soap and make sure your hands are thoroughly dried off after washing.

I didn't realise this and thought it was mainly to prevent catching those awful stomach bugs. Aren't the flu/cold viruses suspended in the air ?
Anyway, this year I have decided to get the flu vaccine as I have read so many scary things. Many people die due to complications and having the flu means 2 weeks of sick leave.

Reactions: KLS52
I didn't realise this and thought it was mainly to prevent catching those awful stomach bugs. Aren't the flu/cold viruses suspended in the air ?
Anyway, this year I have decided to get the flu vaccine as I have read so many scary things. Many people die due to complications and having the flu means 2 weeks of sick leave.
Influenza can be caught through the air, but most cold viruses are very difficult to catch that way unless someone sneezes right in your face. Some viruses live on surfaces for hours, so some germy person could have touched something, then you touch it an hour later and scratch your nose half an hour later--bingo, infection.

Influenza can be caught through the air, but most cold viruses are very difficult to catch that way unless someone sneezes right in your face. Some viruses live on surfaces for hours, so some germy person could have touched something, then you touch it an hour later and scratch your nose half an hour later--bingo, infection.

Thank you for the information. I think that I'll wear rubber gloves at work as they are always ill.

Thank you for the information. I think that I'll wear rubber gloves at work as they are always ill.
Everyone in my office is always sick, too. So far I haven't caught anything; I am a maniac hand washer, and will use antibacterial no-rinse if no sink is handy. I clean my work computer and phone, desk, etc each morning.

I got these habits while working pediatric infectious diseases in the hospital years ago. I only caught one thing there--influenza A, as the child's labs were not back yet and I took care of him with no mask all night. Handwashing rules.

Everyone in my office is always sick, too. So far I haven't caught anything; I am a maniac hand washer, and will use antibacterial no-rinse if no sink is handy. I clean my work computer and phone, desk, etc each morning.

I got these habits while working pediatric infectious diseases in the hospital years ago. I only caught one thing there--influenza A, as the child's labs were not back yet and I took care of him with no mask all night. Handwashing rules.

That is really interesting to know. The only thing is that I would have to bring some kind of germ cleaner to work as they don't always supply it. What would you suggest ?

My husband works on London Underground and he rarely gets colds but it seems like he comes home and passes stuff onto me as I just have got over a virus.:rolleyes: I have OCD so my hand washing is already at a ridiculous level.

Since reading Led's advice, I have started to wash my hands far more often and am also using some bacterial gel that I bought at Boot's.

Another thing that bothers me is that when I go to my MD's surgery she always insists on shaking hands. I really can't stand it as she sees so many people that have germs and viruses.
Do you think that it is normal for a MD to shake someone's hand in a surgery ?

My husband works on London Underground and he rarely gets colds but it seems like he comes home and passes stuff onto me as I just have got over a virus.:rolleyes: I have OCD so my hand washing is already at a ridiculous level.

He must have a super human immune system.:p

Since reading Led's advice, I have started to wash my hands far more often and am also using some bacterial gel that I bought at Boot's.

Another thing that bothers me is that when I go to my MD's surgery she always insists on shaking hands. I really can't stand it as she sees so many people that have germs and viruses.
Do you think that it is normal for a MD to shake someone's hand in a surgery ?

I've had doctors do this before, but it's usually on the first meeting. They've always washed their hands as soon as they come in the room and again right before they leave. However, now that I think about it, I don't remember if my doctor washed her hands at all yesterday when I saw her.

:(
He must have a super human immune system.:p

I've had doctors do this before, but it's usually on the first meeting. They've always washed their hands as soon as they come in the room and again right before they leave. However, now that I think about it, I don't remember if my doctor washed her hands at all yesterday when I saw her.

I never see my doctor washing her hands. I wish she would stop shaking all those germ/virus laden hands.

That is really interesting to know. The only thing is that I would have to bring some kind of germ cleaner to work as they don't always supply it. What would you suggest ?
A very diluted chlorine bleach kills most things, but not too environmentally sound. We have antimicrobial wipes here, so I just use those although they reek.

A very diluted chlorine bleach kills most things, but not too environmentally sound. We have antimicrobial wipes here, so I just use those although they reek.

I usually use wipes but they are not always available at work. I think that they would complain if I bought in bleach. Would alcohol vinegar do the trick ?