US 30% of Republicans support bombing of Agrabah

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
A recent Public Policy Polling survey found that 30% of Republicans and 19% of Democrats say they support “bombing Agrabah” – the fictional nation portrayed in the Disney movie Aladdin. This is not a surprising result. Pollsters have long known that it is easy to get survey respondents to express opinions about nonexistent legislation, such as the “Metallic Metals Act.” It is also easy to elicit survey responses that reveal widespread scientific ignorance. For example, one recent poll found that 80 percent of Americans support “mandatory labels on foods containing DNA.”
More: Political ignorance and bombing Agrabah (18. December 2015)

This explains a lot!

I think those surveys intentionally select certain demographics to skew the results... DNA is grade school science.
That is possible ...

I clicked the link from the article to the actual survey results. The survey of the Republicans also had some other interesting findings:
  • 79% support a criminal background check of every person who wants to buy a firearm, only 14% oppose it
  • 54% support banning Muslims from entering the United States
  • 46% support a national database of Muslims in the United States
(For some reason, it seems the Democratic voters were not asked these other questions.)

I read the poll too. It was a telephone poll, which I never trust because who has home phones these days? They can't poll on mobile phones.

Thus only 23 percent of respondents were between 18 and 45 years old, with 31% over 65.

I looked up Public Policy Polling on wiki, since I hadn't seen many of their poll results reported before.

"Public Policy Polling (PPP) is a U.S. polling firm based in Raleigh, North Carolina.[1] PPP was founded in 2001 by businessman Dean Debnam, the firm's current president and chief executive officer.[2]

PPP is described as one of the "most accurate" polling companies[3][4] and also as a "Democratic-leaning"[5] polling company because it polls only for Democratic and progressive campaigns and organizations on a private basis.

In addition to political issues, the company has polled the public on such diverse topics as the approval rating of God,[6] whether Republican voters believe President Obama would be eligible to enter heaven in the event of the Rapture[7] and whether hipsters should be subjected to a special tax for being annoying.[8]"

------
That explains a lot.

There really are people out there, on both sides of the aisle, who support bombing the Middle East. Agrabah isn't a real place, obviously, but it sounds Muslim-y and that's good enough for them.