News 2016 U.S. Presidential election - the highs and lows

Wow, it's just so surreal to see them sitting together like that. Whenever I have heard Trump speak I always thought he sounded like a man getting up on stage in front of a crowd and desperately trying to fill time as he had forgotten his speech. This time he was actually talking like a normal person.:D

_92387384_obamatrump.jpg

When Occupy L.A. protesters camped out on the lawn in front of L.A. City Hall and stayed there for days, they ultimately destroyed the lawn. The Los Angeles Times spent more time whining about the destroyed lawn (and printed letters from readers doing the same) than talking about why people were camped out in the first place.

That's awful. Gone are the days when reporters with integrity hit the actual f*cking streets. As a result of lack of funds for newspapers and the need to compete with online news outlets, we have a bunch of armchair reporters now, more active on social media outlets than they are about getting into the thick of things. :fp:

The election showed that at least half of America is.

You came back to VV just to say this? Have you even been following the news at all in the last year? The Neo Nazis, KKK and White Lives Matter crowd got their president. How can you be so blind to the ugly racism directed at President Obama and his family for the past eight years? The Republicans set out to obstruct everything he did simply because of his skin color.

No, we are not.

This is a worthwhile article to read - good perspective.

"Many people have taken to social media lamenting that “half” of America is racist and sexist for voting for Donald Trump. But of America’s 318 million people, only 232 million are eligible to vote. Of those, only about half voted in the presidential election. Of those who voted, only 47 percent voted for Donald Trump, or about 18 percent of the United States population. That is not to say that half of America isn’t plagued by racism and sexism — I would put the numbers a lot higher. But it is to say that the American people did not choose this candidate. A least not without a lot of, well, the opposite of help."

So we owe it to you to vote your way?

Your vote is yours - you owe it to no one. That being said - I wish that all those people who voted 3rd party would begin organizing right now for the next election. If there is ever going to be a viable 3rd party, people are going to have to roll up their sleeves and get to work forwarding the movement. People think their individual vote is like the ******* holy grail. A third party will need the teeth of millions to get beyond the measly 3-10 % they pull now. Using your vote as a protest / spoiler to voice your discontent with the system is useless if you're not going to get up off your couch and actually do something.

You mean before DHS, the FBI, police and big banks did everything in their power to shut that **** down?
If it's "shut down" that easily, it's not much of a movement. The civil rights movement of the 1960's had an actual impact because people were willing to get beaten, spit upon, lynched.

Did anyone in the Occupy Wallstreet movement even serve any significant jail time?

If it's "shut down" that easily, it's not much of a movement. The civil rights movement of the 1960's had an actual impact because people were willing to get beaten, spit upon, lynched.

Did anyone in the Occupy Wallstreet movement even serve any significant jail time?
I'm not comparing Occupy Wall Street to the Civil Rights Movement. You can if you want, but I'm not.

It has nothing to do with the peaceful transfer of power and everything to do with the political class just treating the rest of us like a bunch of pawns that can be easily manipulated.

So Obama's supposed to go on TV these week and say, "Be afraid. Be very afraid"?

Tell me what good is that going to do? It would set the markets into a tailspin, and then the GOP (and probably you too) would say: "This is Obama's fault. He just caused a major economic freefall."

I'm not comparing Occupy Wall Street to the Civil Rights Movement. You can if you want, but I'm not.

I'm just saying that it faced no real force. It just petered out, lost momentum.

But you still haven't answered my question. What do you think street protests against the outcome of this election will accomplish? Trump will step down?

The movements that succeed have, in addition to participants' staying power, one or more defined goals.

Reactions: Dedalus
You mean like the popular vote?...

Well, why don't you get busy then and try to get the Constitution amended to get rid of the Electoral College?

People ***** about it all the time, and rightfully so, but I've yet to meet anyone putting in an actual effort.

Reactions: Dedalus
The people who search for vegetarian and vegan represent a tiny percent of the population. Not enough to make a difference....

That's what every single person who doesn't bother to vote or who makes a "protest" vote uses as an excuse.

I totally agree and trying to get back at voters that have voted against your candidate is not being democratic. You have to learn to be a ''good'' loser.

Well, (1) I'm not a leader, and (2) I'm not an elected official, so I don't have to be any specific kind of loser.

And (3) I've already signed up to volunteer with two additional organizations - one supporting Black Lives Matter, and the other working against voter suppression in my state. I'm still searching for a third one, specifically one targeted to help the immigrant Muslim community. I mention the latter specifically because I know you'll approve, Shyvas.

I'm just saying that it faced no real force. It just petered out, lost momentum.
Okay. Great.

What do you think street protests against the outcome of this election will accomplish?
Nothing. Shaming people is the only solution. We must ensure that the incoming status-quo president, who will continue the same neoliberal policies of his predecessors, is defeated in four years by some other status-quo candidate, who will also continue the same neoliberal policies of his or her predecessors.

We should not protest. And if we can leave the country we should, because the less resistance the better.

A quick statistic that is of interest to no one except me.:p

I found the total voter rolls of my town. Out of 2,412 people who voted (out of a population of 4,000), 1,145 votes went to Clinton, or about 47.5%.

No, not the majority, but I'm quite relieved, as I expected the town to be about 98% red.

Also, if you assume 1,000 are children, then the turn out was about 80% - pretty impressive (4,000-1,000=3,000). so 2,412/3,000 is about 80%

Okay. Great.

Nothing. Shaming people is the only solution. We must ensure that the incoming status-quo president, who will continue the same neoliberal policies of his predecessors, is defeated in four years by some other status-quo candidate, who will also continue the same neoliberal policies of his or her predecessors.

We should not protest. And if we can leave the country we should, because the less resistance the better.
So, asking what the protesters hope to accomplish is "shaming"? Wow. Not even an attempt at an actual answer.

I don't care if people take to the streets merely to vent their feelings, as long as they don't cause any damage.

But if a protest is to be an actual movement, instead of being merely a primal scream, it needs to have, at a minimum, an actual objective, together with some idea of how that objective is to be accomplished.

For example, in my state, there was a proposition on the ballot to amend the state constitution to require photo ID to vote. It passed by a wide margin. I'm sure that I don't have to explain to you how that works to suppress the votes of the segments of the population who don't have a driver license.

There is going to be a legal challenge to this amendment. If it fails, which I suspect it will in full or in part, since it will be heard by what will be a conservative SCOTUS, there will need to be a lot of feet on the ground to help people get the photo ID that they will need in order to vote. That's one of the organizations I signed up with as a volunteer.

Of course, we could all just go out and protest instead; I'm sure that would be so much more effective.

So, asking what the protesters hope to accomplish is "shaming"?
What? No. You have shamed people who didn't vote for Hillary Clinton. I realize that you don't consider vote-shaming an end-all be-all solution, but it does appear to be a plank in your platform.

But if a protest is to be an actual movement, instead of being merely a primal scream, it needs to have, at a minimum, an actual objective, together with some idea of how that objective is to be accomplished.
Absolutely.

Of course, we could all just go out and protest instead; I'm sure that would be so much more effective.
The protests we're seeing now is just preliminary stuff. I don't fault anyone for being angry at the results or fearful of the next four years. It's all reasonable and valid. But we'll need to harness this fear and anger into organized direct action. We need to resist and rebel. Whatever movement grows from this will need to stay focused and vigilant.

It's just day two. There's a lot of work to be done.

Reactions: Freesia
What? No. You have shamed people who didn't vote for Hillary Clinton. I realize that you don't consider vote-shaming an end-all be-all solution, but it does appear to be a plank in your platform.

Yeah, I do actually think that there are things that people do, of which they should be ashamed.

Voting for someone who mocks the disabled, who quite calculatingly sows the seeds of bigotry and prejudice and then nurtures them, all to get power, who demeans women verbally and physically and boasts about sexually assaulting them - I think that that is something of which to be ashamed. And I think that not bothering to vote to keep such a person out of the presidency is not a whole lot better, no matter how one tries to justify it to oneself.

I wouldn't be able to look into the face of any of the disabled people I know, or any person of color/Muslim/etc. if I had not, at a minimum, cast my vote to stop Trump. It would have been such a huge betrayal.