“rats run free and the booze flows like water.”

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Those of you unfamiliar with Northern California probably won't understand. but I think this thing sounds great. And an "only in SF" kind of thing.

At first, I worried that this wasn't very veganish, but it's run by an animal rescue organization. And SF is the HQ for PETA. So it must be OK.

Rats carry disease, and a human can get various diseases just by touching a dead one.

"Vegan" or no, I'll pass.

Oh, what a lovely idea!

When I was a kid, I had two rats. Ofcourse, I didn't know how to take good care of them, and they would have deserved better lives..
But I loved to wake up in the morning to feed them. They sniffed me, kinda like saying hello.
They liked to climb on my shoulder and check the world from there. It was adorable.

When they had just arrived, and still were afraid of me, and I didn't get the hint, one of them bit me... Then she just hanged in there, from my finger... I looked at her and said "I think she is hungry and wants to eat meat instead of bread."

And once my friend brought a huge black rat from Russia and put it inside my shirt. That freaking hurt. But the rat was respectable looking, with it's red eyes, dark black fur, and long thick tail.

I love rats, with enthusiasm.

Reactions: FlandersOD and Ger
Rats carry disease, and a human can get various diseases just by touching a dead one.

"Vegan" or no, I'll pass.

I certainly agree that rats can cause humans a lot of problems, however, there are some rats that can be very useful too.

Check this out:

Last edited:
I saw a different (and longer) documentary on rat mine sniffers. Very cool stuff.

There are also dogs that are trained to find mines. In the doc I saw they said that rats are cheaper and faster than anything.

To be entirely fair, these are domestic pet rats. VERY different then your wild street rats. Theyre very social, cleaner than some cats, and can be litter box trained! Theyre going to carry about the same level of "disease" as any domestic small animal, which is basically none. So long as these little ones are potty trained and dont actually drink of out my beer or food, I would say its about as safe as one of those cat cafes to be honest.