Why is good vegan *cheese* so hard to find

<<<— does anyone remember Galaxy Nutritional? They've rebranded and I haven't had their cheese in years, but their slices were really the only vegan cheese I could find for a long time. At the time, I thought they were better than nothing, but now I'm not so sure - they tasted a bit like how you'd expect an empty ashtray to taste.

I wasn't impressed with Myoko's first round of cheese, so I hope the new ones are better. The original options all had a sour aftertaste that I do not like. (Her butter, on the other hand….🥰)

My go-to for slices is Chao - they melt beautifully! I still like Daiya shreds and cream cheese (no, it doesn't taste like cream cheese, but it's ok if you don't expect it to!). And I really love Tofutti's Better Than Sour Cream.

Reactions: Lou
I'm not a fan of cream cheese. The ones that I miss are farmhouse British cheddar, Stilton and some soft French cheeses.
I used to like cream cheese on crackers and bagels, but that was about it. I tried Tofutti once and didn't care for that, either. :D

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
I love toast with vegan cream cheese and Marmite. Truth be told, with the Marmite, the taste of the cream cheese is likely not that important :p

• Haha
Reactions: MoreGreens
I love toast with vegan cream cheese and Marmite. Truth be told, with the Marmite, the taste of the cream cheese is likely not that important :p
If rumors are true, I'd imagine Marmite could dominate about any flavor profile. I've never tasted Vegemite or Marmite not from lack of interest but because I've never seen either sold locally [I checked three groceries, including Whole Foods, before typing that and yet I signed off and thought, 'Oh, I didn't check Kroger.' And, they sell it. Not certain I want to pair it with vegan cream cheese, but that seems as good an introduction as any!]

Last edited:
If rumors are true, I'd imagine Marmite could dominate about any flavor profile. I've never tasted Vegemite or Marmite not from lack of interest but because I've never seen either sold locally [I checked three groceries, including Whole Foods, before typing that and yet I signed off and thought, 'Oh, I didn't check Kroger.' And, they sell it. Not certain I want to pair it with vegan cream cheese, but that seems as good an introduction as any!]

I eat Marmite virtually every single day. It's packed with vitamins from the B group and adds tons of flavour to food. I also use it for making stock and always add it to chillis, soya loaf, burgers and curries.
There's nothing like a slice of hot granary toast with spread and Marmite. Vegemite doesn't taste as good as Marmite imo. 😉

Agree, Vegemite is just a cheap wannabe Marmite impostor IMO.

Still, I don't rely on Marmite to get my Vitamin B12.
I once did the calculation how many slices of toast with Marmite would be required to replace a single Jarrows 2500 mcg B12 sublingual, and arrived at about 1,700 slices of toast. And while I love Marmite, that would be too much.

(Of course, you don't need 2500 mcg B12 often, but for lower doses like 500 mcg, the same math applies)

Agree, Vegemite is just a cheap wannabe Marmite impostor IMO.

Still, I don't rely on Marmite to get my Vitamin B12.
I once did the calculation how many slices of toast with Marmite would be required to replace a single Jarrows 2500 mcg B12 sublingual, and arrived at about 1,700 slices of toast. And while I love Marmite, that would be too much.

(Of course, you don't need 2500 mcg B12 often, but for lower doses like 500 mcg, the same math applies)

I don't eat it go get my B12. However, I really like the savoury taste on toast or baguette.

Reactions: Andy_T
I couldn't care less if vegan cheese compares to dairy cheese, I just it to be like how I want cheese to be, and now I find that in Daiya blocks, FYH, and Chao original, in that order of liking them.
For the longest I thought olives were the best replacement! I have a big jar from Aldi they had at Christmas!

Vegan mayo and nooch is a great chesey tasting spread, try with some garlic powder as a pizza sauce!

Reactions: PTree15 and Andy_T
In my opinionated opinion, vegan cheese tastes better than animal cheese.

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
I have tried some vegan cheese but gave up as it was revolting! I sometimes use vegan cream cheese in sandwiches as an alternative to more fatty spreads as it doesn't have any flavour and so doesn't interfere with the flavour of the food. Vegan egg replacement is something else I avoid and the other day I saw some vegan "fish fingers" in the shop and I just thought "Yuck!" There are some things that you just cannot imitate.

I have tried some vegan cheese but gave up as it was revolting! I sometimes use vegan cream cheese in sandwiches as an alternative to more fatty spreads as it doesn't have any flavour and so doesn't interfere with the flavour of the food. Vegan egg replacement is something else I avoid and the other day I saw some vegan "fish fingers" in the shop and I just thought "Yuck!" There are some things that you just cannot imitate.

Agree. Most of the hard style cheeses are indeed not very appetising. There is nothing that compares to dairy farmhouse cheddar or stilton imo.

However I would like to make some soft style camembert style cheese that is fermented.

Do you mean egg remplacement used for baking or for duplicating egg dishes ?

I also don't like faux fish products. The only one that I've tried which are delicious are Gardein's crabless cakes. I did try Sophie's Kitchen prawns which weren't too bad but didn't taste nothing like the real thing.

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15