What is the best hummus?

clarkjohnken

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I am looking for a chick pea vegan one but I keep finding on the news of several brands that were contaminated. Is there a brand that never had this problem?

Honestly the best hummus is the one I make myself. This way I control what goes into it. I don't watch the news too much since it's primary aim seems to be to instill fear and direct society on what we need to be upset about next, so I've not heard of contaminated hummus brands - a google search is showing stuff from maybe a year ago. With that in mind, the issue has probably been addressed by now.

In any case, if you're worried about the quality of your hummus, find some recipes that sound appealing and try them out. Basic components of hummus are chickpeas, tahini, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, and salt/pepper.

Here's my favorite hummus recipe - it came from one of my favorite local restaurants - it doesn't contain tahini, which I prefer. I'm not a huge fan of tahini:

1 tbsp cumin seed
1 tsp caraway Seed
1 tsp fennel seed
1/2 tsp ground ginger (or 1 tsp fresh)
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (to sauté the herbs)
2 cups chickpeas (or just 1-15oz. can... close enough to 2 cups)
Juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic
Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste

Sauté the seeds and ginger in 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat for 3-5 minutes until the aromatics of the seeds and ginger evolve. Put aside to cool for a few minutes.

Put all the ingredients including the cooled seed mixture (oil included) into a food processor and process until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with pita bread, fresh cut veggies, etc.

Honestly the best hummus is the one I make myself. This way I control what goes into it. I don't watch the news too much since it's primary aim seems to be to instill fear and direct society on what we need to be upset about next, so I've not heard of contaminated hummus brands - a google search is showing stuff from maybe a year ago. With that in mind, the issue has probably been addressed by now.

In any case, if you're worried about the quality of your hummus, find some recipes that sound appealing and try them out. Basic components of hummus are chickpeas, tahini, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, and salt/pepper.

Here's my favorite hummus recipe - it came from one of my favorite local restaurants - it doesn't contain tahini, which I prefer. I'm not a huge fan of tahini:

1 tbsp cumin seed
1 tsp caraway Seed
1 tsp fennel seed
1/2 tsp ground ginger (or 1 tsp fresh)
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (to sauté the herbs)
2 cups chickpeas (or just 1-15oz. can... close enough to 2 cups)
Juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic
Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste

Sauté the seeds and ginger in 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat for 3-5 minutes until the aromatics of the seeds and ginger evolve. Put aside to cool for a few minutes.

Put all the ingredients including the cooled seed mixture (oil included) into a food processor and process until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with pita bread, fresh cut veggies, etc.
That is definitely not traditional. Quite an interesting mix....

I hadn't heard of recalls for some time. I would look up the recalls on the usda recall list so you know what not to get--they should be removed by the time they're recalled
I've lost for my taste for chickpeas, to be honest. I used to get Trader Joes or Aldi or make my own
I'd say my favorite was with freshly cooked beans, processed still hot with their cooking liquid. Garlic, lemon, some olive oil and salt. I liked za'tar in mine

I prefer homemade hummus, but on occasion I've bought the Joseph's brand. I'm not sure whether it's available nationwide, but I find it in the New England states. It's the closest I've had to homemade.

I'm pretty traditional with hummus. I like it with lemon juice (preferably fresh), garlic, olive oil, tahini, sea salt and a dash of cumin. Depending on how thick I want it, I'll either leave out the 1/4 cup of water called for in the recipe (from Veganomicon), or use a little bit of aquafaba from the canned chickpeas to get the consistency I want.

My favorite is probably about as plain as it gets: chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, garlic. 4 of my most favorite flavors in one food! (But each of them is quite intense-tasting, and I absolutely get why some folks don't like it, or just leave one of those ingredients out, maybe in favor of something different).

Reactions: PTree15
In the United States, you can find a complete list of foodborne illness outbreaks, by year, on the website of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: https://www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/outbreaks/multistate-outbreaks/outbreaks-list.html

In the United States, there have been very few hummus-related illness outbreaks. It's not true that "several" brands have had contamination.

In 2019, there was a hummus-related outbreak. One person was hospitalized. No deaths: https://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/concord-05-19/index.html

In 2012, there was also a hummus-related outbreak. No one required hospitalization: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6146a3.htm

I would ask the OP to check facts before posting, unless they're trying to scare people away from hummus(?).

Another vote for my own homemade hummus. A second choice is Roots oil-free, but the only 2 stores I ever saw it in stopped carrying it. I keep my hummus super simple - 1 can of garbanzos, 1 large Tsp of tahini, and the rest unmeasured - lemon juice, roasted garlic, black pepper, cayenne, and just enough water to make it the right consistency. All of this thrown into a Cuisinart Mini Prep food processor till it's done.